1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help formatting xp please.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jiggaman, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jiggaman

jiggaman Thread Starter

I would like to format my hd's, to put on windows ME back onto my computer. I lost my windows xp cd, but i have my ME cd. so would someone give me some input on how to format :) please and thanks...

2. jiggaman

jiggaman Thread Starter

im sorry i bumpped but no one has even read my post yet :(

3. Augie65

Augie65

4. jiggaman

jiggaman Thread Starter

Ok :p will it help me either way, im running windows xp at the moment. i just want to remove xp, and put in ME.

5. Augie65

Augie65

If this is what you really want to do, you will have to create a boot disk and format your hard drive. Follow the directions on the site I gave before. This will erase everything on the hard drive and then you can install Windows Me.

6. jiggaman

jiggaman Thread Starter

Ok i made a boot disk, i have my cd in hand with cd key,, i followed every step right up to format c:.... But it says,,, Format not supported by c:

im stumppped

7. SirKenin

SirKenin Banned

That's because you have to delete the XP partition as well. It is NTFS, and Me is FAT32. Use FDISK to delete the non-DOS partition and then use it to create a new primary partition. Once you have set that new partition active you have to restart the computer and then you can do your formatting and installing.

8. jiggaman

jiggaman Thread Starter

ok :p how would i go about doing that?

9. SirKenin

SirKenin Banned

Download a windows 98 boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/ Boot to a command prompt and type in FDISK at the prompt. Follow the directions.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/423641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice