1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help formatting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SpiffyMasta, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpiffyMasta

SpiffyMasta Thread Starter

I've been having troubles recently with my pretty new laptop. It's a 3,06 ghz with 512 ram. I've been having performance related problems that where not there the first couple of months I had it. I suspect my installation of SP" for Windows XP had something to do. Now I want to format my harddrive, so I can have a fresh start on my computer, because having a 2000$ machine have such sucky performances kind of pisses me off. I've tried close to everything.

I've been on the security forum for about three weeks, trying to see what the problem was, in case it was caused by some sort of virus or something, but we found nothing. So since we (by we I'm talking about Cookiegal and I) think it might be related to SP2, I just want to format, and I want to make sure I do it right, so i'm just asking for someone to take me through this process, thanx.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

3. SpiffyMasta

So all I have to do is save my important stuff, right click on my c drive click format, format it, then reinstall windows XP as explained at those places?

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

You cannot foramt the drive using windows. Using one of the guides I listed, make the CD/ROM the first boot device and disconnect all external peripherals except the keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Strike any key to boot from cd" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

You will have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

Good luck . .

5. SpiffyMasta

k, since I have a laptop, Im not sure if my keyboard and mouse are USB or not. and how am I supposed to have the firewall up if I don't have SP2 downloaded yet? should I load it on a cd, then install it after I format?

6. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Don't worry about the keyboard and if you have an external mouse remove it.
    Boot with your XP cd and choose new install. Follow onscreen instructions.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/365016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice