1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Frequent disconnects on local crossover connection...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ytsejam677, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ytsejam677

ytsejam677 Thread Starter

I have set up my personal laptop (Macbook) on a crossover connection with my laptop at work (Windows XP). My work laptop is connected to the company’s network which doesn’t allow personal computers to be connected to. Since the work laptop’s internal NIC is connected to the network, I have connected a USB to LAN adapter to the USB port and connect it with the NIC on my macbook via a crossover cable. I set the work laptop IP as 192.168.0.1 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the macbook IP as 192.168.0.2 and same subnet mask. The connection works fine and I am able to share files between them.

However, 1 very frustrating problem. The crossover connection disconnects and reconnects frequently (every 5-15 minutes). Looking at the Windows XP event viewer, there is a TCPIP 4201 event every time it happens. Here is what the event looks like:

--
    Product: Windows Operating System
    ID: 4201
    Source: Tcpip
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_TCPIP_MEDIA_CONNECT
    Message: The system detected that network adapter %2 was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.
    --

This would be a normal event if it didn’t happen so often, indicating my connection has recovered from a disconnect.

I thought it might be the USB to LAN adaptor malfunctioning so I replaced it with another one: no luck. I thought it might be the crossover cable so I tested it between 2 macs with a gigabit connection and pinged continuously for about and hour but got 0% packet loss. Both comps are up to date with updates and drivers as far as I can tell. I tried forcing various transfer speeds including full & half duplex modes: no luck.

I should also mention that the USB to LAN adaptor is not gigabit, but rather 100/10. The Macbook’s NIC is gigabit and the crossover cable is CAT 5e, which supports a gigabit connection, but is forced to transfer at 100baseTX (either automatically or manually) to accommodate the other NIC’s speed. I’m not sure if this is part of the problem, but thought it might be worth mentioning.

If anyone has any insight into this issue, please lend me your wisdom! Also let me know if I should provide device details or logs.

Thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The key statement here.
    We don't assist in bypassing company network restrictions, please refer to the TSG Rules.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/912650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice