1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help get rid of Extra Operating Systems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by grafx77, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grafx77

grafx77 Thread Starter

My main OS is Windows XP Home Edition. I also have a partition on my main HD for Windows Server 2003. I also have a second HD in my system and am running Windows 2000 on that one. The question is...........I have formatted my second HD and got rid of Windows 2000 and deleted the contents for Windows 2003 Server on my first HD, but when I restart my cpu, there is still a menu for me to choose what OS I want to enter, before the usual Windows XP startup screen appears.

How do I get rid of this menu and have my original OS, Windows XP Home, start up automatically? :confused:

2. zmaster

zmaster

what OS's are in the menu options? "and got rid of Windows 2000" how did you get rid of it? Did you delete the partition it was running on? Also. Before doing too much else make sure you have everything backed up. Its always wise to backup before messing around with your computer

This might help Link

3. grafx77

grafx77 Thread Starter

Windows 2000, Windows 2003 XP, and Windows Server 2003 are on the menu. I deleted the partition on my main HD and formatted the HD with Windows Server 2003 by right clicking on the HD and choosing format. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the menu at boot?

4. pjblevin

pjblevin

I'm not sure about XP home, but on XP pro----right click my computer>advanced tab>startup and recovery>settings>time to display list of operating systems....is set to default at 30 seconds. Try reducing that time, maybe to zero, and see if that works.

pjblevin

5. zmaster

zmaster

did you try the link in my earlier post?

6. grafx77

grafx77 Thread Starter

I tried the link and read a good majority of the article, but it wasn't easy reading to say the least. If you have any understanding to what the article was trying to convey then let me know. Seemed like alot of techinical mumbo jumbo which I don't understand.

As for pjblevin, I will try your idea of setting the time back and see if that works and let you know.

7. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi grafx77,
    Try this :Be Very Carefull doing this!!!
    Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    -or-
    In Control Panel, start the Performance and Maintenance tool, and then click System.
    On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
    Under System Startup, click Edit.Notepad will open.
    In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
    Right click in an empty area of the Save As dialog box, point to New in the Context menu, and then click Folder.
    Type a name for the new folder, for example temp, and then press the ENTER key to create the folder named temp.
    Double-click the new folder named temp, and then click the Save button to save a backup copy of the Boot.ini file.

The boot.ini file would look similar to this :

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

You probably have XP
    If XP is first :
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    Highlight the 2 lines following :
    and delete them.
    Example:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

After deleting:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    Save, close notepad and reboot.
    You can also speed up boot time by unchecking the box for :
    Display a list of Operating Systems for:

8. pjblevin

pjblevin

Grafx77: Yeah, I'd like to know if it works. I've never tried it though, as I've never had your particular problem.

pjblevin

9. grafx77

grafx77 Thread Starter

Your advice worked PJ!! No menu and loads straight to my main OS. Thanks again. Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this situation. You all were of great help. :)

10. pjblevin

pjblevin

grafx: Thanks for letting me know that it worked. If I ever encounter the problem, I'll know how to fix it.

pjblevin

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice