Help getting exp

Pyro892

Hello.

I am relatively new to computer hardware, DIY ,and Computer repair. This is really due to the lack of a desktop computer and the money to spend if i screwed up my laptop. However I have always been interested in the technology but never found the motivation to research it more because i never had the ability or mondy to get into it. But as I now have a job for myself and a stable income that isn't going all to bills i have been researching and learning more as the years go on. I have even decided that this is differently something that interests me so much that i am going to go to college to get an associates degree in CIS.

I am going to make my first computer build later this month. I am really excited for it and i think it is going to be a pretty awesome gaming PC rocking a Nividia 1070 and an intel i5-6600k with 16gb of ram. If you want to see my build then i will be more then happy to post it. But this is the first desktop I would ever own.

My point being is i have no hands on exp with this kind of stuff aside from having a very dated laptop when i was 17. Don't get me wrong i have learned a lot from playing around with it as far as the interface goes but I want to learn more. YouTube videos are great but they don't compare to hands on exp.

My question is where should i go to learn more about computer repair and maintenance (such as recovering hard drives and software maintenance) I know i will learn as I go when i build my PC but i would rather not use it as a guinea pig.

I would love to find somewhere to work to get entry level knowledge but most places expect you to have that experience before they hire you.

Go buy an A+ certification book, that covers general hardware knowledge good enuf to get a job in a computer retailer.

Gr3iz

Mark
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

You might try to find out if any of your friends work on PCs and ask if you could sit with them some time while they are puttering around.

I also recall donating several old pieces/parts to some local organization that would build/repair PCs and teach others how to work on them. I passed on being a volunteer at the time, didn't have time for everything that was going on in my own life at the time. I'd love to do it now, but can't for the life of me remember what or where it was.

Maybe your local community has something similar to that? A place where volunteers show budding technicians the ropes ...

Best of luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online