1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help getting OS back for HP Pavillion

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by djangojazz, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djangojazz

djangojazz Thread Starter

Okay so generally I have gotten back OS's tons by disks and generally I use another computer to read the bad harddrive as a slave, get my stuff saved, put harddrive back, wipe it's partition out then use the format disk embedded on a Win XP disc to get it back and reload drivers, programs, info files. But HP is different than the Sony's, Dell's, and Fujitsus I usually use. They give no cd for the OS with their system and I'm trying to get back a computer for a friend. Here's so far:

1. When slaving his harddrive it appears intact but I can't open two users and they are completely blank folders. He tells me his daughter was saving a project but I can't find it so I'd like to use a boot disk to log in safe made to have my friend see his files and have him or his daughter find them themselves before anything else.

2. I just see the Win XP(even in safe or debugging mode) go to start but get caught up forever in a loop on what usually is the user login screen. So it's like it gets to the user login screen but offers no option to login.

3. I'm not having luck with the 98 boot disk, it's extracted correctly to a floppy but it's won't run Win 98'. I'm a total newb with the boot disk thing and honestly have never done it. It was extracted correctly and is on the floppy. When I went into BIOS and selected to run the floppy first it self extracted and appeared to be copying files. When I reboot it lists 3 options, 1. 98 with CD support, 2. 98 without cd support, 3. help file. I select 1 or 2 and it just stays in DOS Prompt after installing the fake D drive, on an A: cursor. When restarting I can't get 98'? I'm new so is there a common step I'm missing? Do you just run a directory of 98' in the background with a prompt and work with the ole directory system?

Any help is much appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I do nto know answers to a lot of the issues listed - however,
    HP's often have a recovery section on the harddrive - hitting F10 as you boot should bring up the recovery menu.

3. djangojazz

djangojazz Thread Starter

Yes and thank you, but the problem is generally recovery partitions wipe out files and I'm looking to avoid that with a boot disk and getting the files copied first. Anyone else have any ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/463200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice