1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Help getting pics off dead desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kredd3, Jun 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kredd3

kredd3 Thread Starter

I have two desktop computers that I can’t turn on. I have stored them in plastic totes in my garage for several years. I believe the last time I was able to use them was at least 10 years ago. I would like to know if it’s possible to get pictures and documents off them and put on to a flash drive or my current laptop or external hard drive. From a little research I have discovered there is an item called a “USB universal drive adapter ”.

Is this all I need? Looking at some on Amazon I see that some say they are only compatible with 2.5” SATA drives. I don’t understand what this means or how to know what I have. I don’t know the terms SSD and HDD or 3.0 USB or 2.0 USB so I don’t know how to tell what I’ve got or don’t have or what I need to look for.

My desktops are:

HP Pavilion a1203w
    and
    eMachine T3410

My laptop (that I want pics and files to be transferred to):
    HP Pavilion m6 Notebook PC

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hello kredd3, and welcome to TSG.

Your HP desktop appears to use a Parallel ATA (PATA) interface for its 3.5 inch hard drive.
    Your eMachines desktop appears to use a Serial ATA (SATA) interface for its 3.5 inch hard drive.
    You did not give the full model number of your HP laptop, but I will assume it has at least one USB 3 port (it has a blue color insulator inside the jack).

An adapter device like the one in the Amazon link below should meet your need to efficiently copy the date from both of the old drives to your new computer. It can handle both PATA and SATA drives in either 2.5 and 3.5-inch form factors. It comes with its own AC power source for the drives so there is no concern if your laptop can put enough power into the USB port to operate the adapter and the drive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E7EPKUO

3. kredd3

kredd3 Thread Starter

I think the model # for the laptop is i5-3210M

4. kredd3

kredd3 Thread Starter

Also thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

Do you think I will be able to recover photos from these computers that have been in storage for nearly 10 years?

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Look for a label on the laptop showing a dash, 4 digits, and two letters after the "m6" in the model number.

I have read that in many years past that the bearings in the platters of a hard drive could stick from years of non-use or excessive use. No way of knowing for sure until you try. Are you sure both computers were functional when put in storage? Were the totes banged around while the computers were in them?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  6. kredd3

kredd3 Thread Starter

I don’t see a model on the laptop itself. I pulled up the information within the laptop to get the exact name of it.

The HP desktop wouldn’t turn on before I put it in storage. The eMachine I think would turn on but the screen would never take me to a desktop screen with all the icons. So I assumed both were just old and broke and stored them in the hopes that one day someone would be able to save pictures off of them.

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The symptoms of the eMachines desktop could indicate a failed or corrupted hard drive that prevented launching windows. No way to know for sure until you try to read the drive with the new computer.

8. kredd3

kredd3 Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. I purchased what you mentioned and was able to get pictures and documents off the HP computer. The eMachine drive never appeared on the laptop for me to click on like the HP did. I guess that means the eMachcine is trash? I don’t know what else to do. It looks like the same type of drive as the HP

9. kredd3

kredd3 Thread Starter

Hp on top. EMachine on bottom.

Attached Files:

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Glad to hear you were able to get the data off of at least one of the drives. They both look to use the older Parallel ATA interface. You should double-check the jumper position on the undetectable eMachine drive. I believe the instructions for the USB adapter say that the jumper should be set to Master for proper operation. The jumper settings guide is typically included on a label on the drive. Does the drive sound or feel like the internal platters are spinning up when you power it up?

11. kredd3

kredd3 Thread Starter

I am just writing for an update. I was able to get information off of both hard drives. It just took me unplugging and plugging back in cords and turning the switch off and on in a combination of ways until it finally popped up on the laptop. Then I tried hooking up the first hard drive again just to double check and make sure I got everything off of there and the hard drive would spin up so I tried the hooking up and off and switching combo thing and after a few hours I was able to get it going again. It makes me think there was something wrong with the cables/switches. I don’t know! In the end, I was able to get stuff off both hard drives and I thank you for your time in helping me with this problem.

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You have more patience than I probably would have had with the first drive. Thank you for the update.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice