1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP!! great fps, then bad frames

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syco_steve, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syco_steve

syco_steve Thread Starter

hi guys i hope some guru out there can shed some light on this:

ok, heres the deal: bought new hdd200gig
    so I did fresh install of xp on 40gig 5400rpm maxtor hdd
    installed my mobo default drivers then updated then to 5.10 nforce2 drivers
    mobo is an35n-400 amd2500+ 1.8ghz, one gig of patriot mem3200spd.
    bfg-7800gs agp 256mb....
    the issue is the frames persecond i get exsample i can start up pc run gtr2, red orchastra, nr2003, hfl2, css, dod, with great performance then all the sudden down to low fps6 to 12
    i can reboot pc one time and it fixes it then the next it doesnt several restart somtimes fixes it. i have tried putting in different video card with same results....
    Does this sound like a power supply issue??
    i have the 82.16 ncidia driver installed per bfg tech. had used the latest driver but had same issues.... PLEASE SOME ONE HELP!!!:)

2. rolandk10

rolandk10

Almost sounds like an over heating problem.

Reguardless of what the temps say, or what the problem is, I usually suspect some piece of hardware as over heating if the following is true:

The problem is predictable to the extent that you always seems to encounter it within 5 to 15 minutes or so of using some particular app.

Rebooting helps for a moment but the problem comes back usually sooner than the first time.

A fresh boot after a few hours of the machine being powered down seems to give the problem more time before surfacing.

These are some of the indicators that something is over heating. Could be a cpu, gpu, psu, chipset, hdd etc.

I've seen problems like strange characters suddenly appearing across the screen. Jerky graphics during a game every 10 or 20 seconds. machine freezes during restart on POST screen.

The one thing these problems all had in common, besides being related to overheating, were that they all initially appeared to be something else. The strange characters were thought to be a faulty video card which actually turned out to be a dying cpu fan. the jerky graphics were thought to be a memory resident program interfering turned out to be a hot gpu, and the post freeze was thought to be a bad cpu turned out to be an incorrect jumper that set the core voltage too high on the cpu.

Just for kicks, try running a game or two with the side of your case open and see if the problem takes a bit longer to occur. Some hardware can get just enough more cooling with the increased ventalation.

3. syco_steve

thats , what I have herd, so far over heating.thanks
    I'm glad you mentioned all the different things you did, becuase as I read it, I relized every sinse I and a friend build this sytem years ago, before upgrading video card..ect.. we neverr hooked up the hdd led light... the reset switch, just the power button wire, i do think this stuff started happening, sinse i hooked up the hddled and reset switch gonna remove them and make sure the power wire is on right.. plugs...
    ill repost later... thanks!!!
    also: my gpu temps are at 37c idel and 40to44c after gaming for over an hour... fyi
    and i use mbm5, cpu read 40c at idle under load around 45to52c .

4. syco_steve

This forum can be closed... sent graphics card back to bfg for rmathis

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice