HELP! Hard disk erased itself??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dragjack

ok... so here it is...
On the 22nd December my SATA hard drive failed... all valuable work documents, pictures etc all gone....

fine.. I'm trying to digest this now and I proceed...

This evening after having killbox delete a file that simply would not get off my pc (it seemed to be like a trojan annoyance thing) - a file that wasn't even located on my C: drive - I rebooted (first I decided to play some Need For Speed Most Wanted - maybe I shouldn't have...). Now my C drive appears to be absolutely positively EMPTY... 100% free disk space No Windows no nothing.... I'm here with and Ultimate Windows Boot cd on the same pc and running tests. The C drive needs to be formatted apparently because it's now in RAW format...

Question is... can I manage to restore any of the files? (I'm intersted in my favourites, documents and digiatl art creations I made yet again... -I wasn't daunted by the other HD failure 6 days ago...)

I'm currently running PC INSPECTOR and so far it's found no files at all - nada to be recovered... Funny thing is the drive is showing up as HEALTHY and in RAW format in the Disk Management program that exists on the cd... lmao... har har...

HELPPPPPPPP I'm going insane... (plus I have my mother telling me that computers are the devil's offspring so... argh)

This is a sad story, Jack. Maybe a New Year's Resolution would be to make weekly back-ups of the important data you keep on your drive. :(

This is beyond my expertise, my friend, but my posting here will bump your thread. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members will have some suggestions for you.

Luck!

~Eric

Depending on How it was deleted, there is a chance of recovery of data.

Check out a place called www.drivecrash.com

Ive never used them personally, but have heard good things about them from friends.

I wont grind the "you shoulda backed up thing".. you'll get enough of that.. DVD Re-Writers are beautiful things. :)

-Gonz

kinda funny i had same problem recenlty when i put my new 250 in 2 of my other drives went blank i looked around for all kinds of data recovery 2 i foudn that worked ok were recover my files and get data back. I got all my important docs back.

dragjack

vtel57 thank you for bumping up the thread!! :D

Gonzo! Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I live in London U.K. :eek: :eek:
Will have to look for Data Recovery places here, but not sure which one would be reliable and relatively reasonalby priced... (I'm not rich, but will invest to get my data back...)

Bal3wolf, do you remember which programs you used???
So Far I've managed to get something back with PC Investigator and I'm not at work and have left my home pc running a thorough integrity check... let's see...

Sounds as if your partitions got deleted. There are partition rebuilders and undelete software that can help you. However again that would all depend on what happened. The best bet at this time is to keep the drive as is and inset another drive to run the OS. Then use software to rebuild the partitions or recover deleted files. DriveSavers would be the last resort.

dragjack

that's the plan Moose... I'm off to buy me a brand new hard drive and do a light windows installation. Hopefully that will help...

gosh what a christmas present to receive eh!?:mad: :(

btw... i just love those festive smilies!! :D :D :D

get databack
recover my files
are 2 programs i used you can recover small files mosty big ones dont recover good.

dragjack

I'm back! :O

yes indeed! I've managed with the help of a great program (and a most worthwhile investment I must say) to salvage the contents of the ENTIRE drive!! 90% is working so far (only some files seem to not be 100% good)

Windows folder had mysteriously disappeared but STELLAR PHOENIX managed to get to the documents&Settings - which was what i wanted most - and then all my digital art projects! it also detected the missing Windows folder and tried to retrieve some parts of it.

I can't believe it! :O woooooooohhhhhhhhoooooooo!!

well at least those 2 sleepless nights weren't all for nothing!

thank you all!! I recommend STELLAR PHOENIX - it may cost $99 but it's definitely worth it! I know i sound like a bad ad... but bear with me!! I just salvaged 2 years' worth of digital artwork! :)

SirKenin

Banned
lol :D Good for you for saving it. You don't happen to own a Western Digital by chance, do you?

dragjack

SirKenin, what's wrong with Western Digital?? the first drive that had the mechanical failure (which still needs to be sorted...) was a SEAGATE Barracuda SATA 300GB (only had it for 6 months too...) The one I managed to salvage is a MAXTOR Ultra-ATA 160GB.

I'm asking cos I just got a Western Digital SATA to replace the busted Seagate...:confused:

vtel57, I already have!! was burning DVDs all night last night :D :D :eek:

dragjack said:
SirKenin, what's wrong with Western Digital?? the first drive that had the mechanical failure (which still needs to be sorted...) was a SEAGATE Barracuda SATA 300GB (only had it for 6 months too...) The one I managed to salvage is a MAXTOR Ultra-ATA 160GB.

I'm asking cos I just got a Western Digital SATA to replace the busted Seagate...:confused:

Different folks have different experiences with hardware and software, Jack. I've had great experiences with both WD and Max drives. The only drive I ever had fail on me was a Seagate. :(

Yeah man! You go! Back-ups are a pain in the arse, but they're sure nice to have when you need 'em. ;)

Luck... and have a safe and prosperous 2006!

~Eric

SirKenin

Banned
dragjack said:

Seagate eh? They are usually pretty good... I'm also surprised that it was a Maxtor that wiped the data. The reason I asked if it's WD is that is a favorite trick of WD drives to wipe the data. That and *click* *click* *click*. I've never seen a Maxtor pull that stunt. I'll make a mental note of that...

dragjack

vtel57, thank you! And a joyous and fruitful New Year to you too!! :D :D

SirKenin, it was the Seagate drive that went kaput after a series of clickety click grinding sounds!!! :eek: it's the second Seagate drive that does this to me grrrrrrrr!!! - the first one was about 3 years ago, again a Barracuda - only IDE - and i lost a book i was writing at the time, all 200 pages of it.. gah... One'd think I'd know to do my backups eh?!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I reckon the Maxtor drive was probably erased due to some virus rather than of its own accord so to speak :eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online