1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! Hard Drive isn't detected at startup!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gangle, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gangle

Gangle Thread Starter

Alright, a couple days ago I bought and installed another hard drive. I had both of them up and running and then today when I turned on my computer my old hard drive was beeping, and making other wierd sounds. My computer said to insert a system disk, and i could not boot to windows.

So lets forget about my old hard drive, I just want to get Windows XP installed on my new hard drive. I have the hard drive on the first connector on its own IDE cable, it is set to master. When booting it detects the ram then it says:
    Detecting IDE drives...
    Primary Master: WDC WD1200SB-00GVA0 08.02D0
    Primary Slave: None
    Secondary Master: some cd drive
    Secondary Slave: another cd drive

So good so far I think, besides the fact that the Detecting IDE drives takes forever, which it shouldn't. The next screen that pops up says this along with a bunch of other stuff:
    Pri.Master Disk: LBA ATA 100, 120 GB

Then it scrolls down alittle more and says Verifying DMI Pool Data........... and after attempting to boot from the cd drive a couple times it says DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. I then insert Windows XP to boot, and after a painstakingly long time I get to the blue Windows installation screen and I press enter to install and it tells me there was no hard disk detected.

Any help would be appreciated, I don't have a clue on what's wrong, but I believe it is hard drive related since the problems didnt start occuring til I put the new hard drive in.

2. Cell

Cell

did you double check your cables to make sure they werent loose or that all the jumpers were set right??

3. Gangle

Gangle Thread Starter

I pushed all the cables in to make sure they were in correctly and no dice, the hard drive doesnt have windows installed on it and the windows installation can't detect the hard drive if I forgot to mention that.

4. Cell

Cell

did you try already having the windows cd in the drive then booting?? that might make a difference. i had a problem similar to this one before...just having trouble remembering what i did to fix it :confused:

5. Gangle

Gangle Thread Starter

yes, it gets to the blue windows installation screen and tells me I dont have a hard drive plugged into the computer. I just tried going into my BIOS and redetecting my hard drive and it adds the word none to the front of the hard drive name. but when i reboot it keeps finding it.

6. Cell

Cell

have you tried clearing the cmos jumper?

7. Gangle

Gangle Thread Starter

How would I go about doing that? I need to get to bed for work tomorrow, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

8. Cell

Cell

on your motherboard is a set of 3 pins (exact location differs depending on motherboard..see your manual for exact location.) the jumper is set to 2 of the 3 pins. simply take the jumper off and move it to the other jumper (the one that was not previously set) and the middle one. leave it there for 5 secs then move it back to the starting point. again the manual will also have instructions for this.

9. Gangle

Gangle Thread Starter

Alright I gave resetting the cmos jumper a try, it said something new like Verifying EPSD.... Succeeded or something before the Detecting IDE drives... but i still got the DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER and windows did not detect a hard drive

10. Gangle

Gangle Thread Starter

Could this be a motherboard problem???

11. Cell

Cell

i dont believe so. seeing as it is recognized in your bios and such but not by the installation.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Take a look at the hard drive. There should be some jumpers on it. WDC has a little confusing arrangment with their jumpers but set the drive to Master and give that a try. Or try Cable Selct on Single jumper settings. Then turn the computer on and enter the BIOS. See if there's an IDE detection option and run it if it exists. Or look for the IDE under Stardard or possibly somewhere for what the BIOS detected on each IDE channel. Make sure the drive is correctly detected then save and exit.

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" This is a normal thing to get when the hard drive is blank. You need to boot up off the Windows CD and install Windows. If you make sure the jumpers are set right on the drive the Setup should detect the drive.

One other thing to check is to see if the hard drive is attached to a regular IDE controller or to a RAID controller, if the latter you may need to provide the RAID drivers. To find out if its a RAID controller check your motherboard manual.

13. Gangle

Gangle Thread Starter

I tried the Hard drive in my Dad's computer and it worked fine. So it has to be something with the motherboard bios or something.

14. Xephar

Xephar

Did you use the IDE cable from your dads computer or your IDE cable... It could very well be a bad IDE cable.

15. Derrick

Derrick

The settings in the bios can cause this,try different settings write them down so you can change them back later, it seems that it is not booting from the drive that you want,try under ide configuration in the bios, after you have done what Triple 6 said.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice