1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moby323, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moby323

moby323 Thread Starter

I was installing a program a few days a and got an "error writing to disk" message. Everytime I start my PC i get a message that I need to run scandisk, but when I run a thorough scan, the PC freezes up about 25% of the way through the serface scan. This happens whether I scan from windows or not. I tried to defragment but it also freezes in the same spot. Any ideas what caused this or how to fix it?

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Welcome moby323,
    What operating system are you running?
    If you can get into windows stop the programs that are running inthe background.(antivirus, etc.) Try running it again. make sure the fix errors automatically is checked. My daughter had same problem. We were getting same error message and freeze up. I had to reformat everything and she is now running fine. But this is my opinion! Someone else may have a better idea. Scandisk will fix most problems but not all

3. moby323

moby323 Thread Starter

I closed all other programs and did as you said. i was hoping that reformatting would not me my only option, but it is looking like it may! Oh, woe is me!

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Himoby323,
    What happened when you closed everything? Same result?also try running your antivirus(update it first)!

5. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:cool: Have you tried running scan disk/defrag in safe mode. Also, I would run the system file checker utility to see what it shows. Just a thought.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice