Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help: Harddisk shuts down...

795 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  maniksss 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
My comp's been having this very wierd problem lately.

My harddisk shuts down automatically.Everything's fine one moment,then suddenly the orange light on the cpu(which shows hdd activity)goes off and the monitor also shuts down(the green power indicator on it turns to orange). Although the green light on the cpu(indicating power supply)still remains on.Now,in this state, even if i try to press the cpu restart button,nothing happens.I have to cut the power supply from the wall socket and then restart the pc.

Now,this situation happens randomly.It's not overheating probably because it can happen anytime after switching the pc on,10 mins or 2 hours.But another thing is that this issue happens only wen i'm watchin a movie saved on disk or playing a game like Counterstrike etc.I can surf the net or listen to music for hours and nothing happens.Even while watching a movie or gaming,it won't happen always. Sometimes several days go by before anything happens,on other days it happens every 5 mins.
I've opened the cabinet and interchanged the power and data cables between my cd-drive and harddisk,to check whether anything's wrong with the cables.But still da same problem.i've even tried using different players to watch the movies(VLC,Media player Classic),but no use.I observed the cpu usage during movie playing and it hovers around 15-20%.

My pc's config is AMD athlon 2400+ xp,256mb ddr,onboarg graphics suspport,samsung 80gb 7200rpm,17 inch monitor and Win XP pro.I've had this pc for 2 yrs+ and never had this problem.It only started 2 weeks bak.Please help guys..
:confused:

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi,
Yeah,i've run a disk scan several times.it doesnt show up anything.
And as for the PSU,i really dont have a clue!!!how do i find out??i'm a novice and somebody assembled this system for me.
But just a thought,if something was wrong with the PSU,then wouldn't the green light on the cpu(power indicator) be going off also,rather than just the HDD??

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.