HELP!!! having problems sending email since getting CABLE.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BigDaveinNJ

Here we go again. I called my dial-up ISP and wanted to know why I still couldn't send email using a CABLE connecting to access my account and they told me that I should go to OUTLOOK EXPRESS/TOOLS/ACCOUNTS and change the name of my SMTP (Outgoing) server to the CABLE companys' SMTP server for my email program to work..... I found my CABLE companys SMTP server same and entered it in.

Now.... when I send Email.... it no longer gets bounced back to me.... but whoever I send it to (including myself) does not receive the mail. :( What the heck is going on here?

When I go to my OE SENT messages folder it says that the messages were sent.... yet no one gets there mail...and none of it is getting bounced back to me either. This is so confusing.

I have a question...if OEs SENT folder says that the mail was SENT... does that mean that it actually WAS sent successfully? Any ideas on how I can fix this problem once and for all?

Thanks in advance

DAVID

try sending a message to yourself but:
only use the 'send all mail' to send
wait a couple secs
click 'receive all mail'
(sounds like you did this already, but humor me)

set up your old isp account again so you have 2 different accounts, see what happens

try this using your different email accounts (isp vs cable) to see where things go

if it shows up in your 'sent' folder it was sent to the server but that's all it means, there's no info as to what happens after it gets there.

did you get your cable smtp (most just use 'mail') name from the company?

if it's an @home cable account, it may just be taking it's sweet time - i had some that took 24 hours to come back to me - from me to me in 24 hours LOL

i find it strange that your isp (where you still have email accounts i assume) should tell you to use the cable connection (smtp) to send

i have many (far too many) accounts - and i send using cable, isp, yahoo, etc - each account using a different smtp server, never a problem

Hi
Im going to try to help you and hope I don't confuse you.

open OE... go to tools/accounts/mail/.....
In GENERAL
click on your name then properties..... view & correct if needed

1. Mail Account (put in Your Name as you want people to see it that recieve mail from you )...

2. name ( your user name as established with the cable company )

3. e-mail address ( as provided to you by the cable co. )

4. Now check the box _ include this account when recieving mail

In SERVERS

1.your incoming mail is pop3

2. your cable companies e-mail server for incoming mail ( should start w/ pop3._____.____)

3. your cable companies smtp server for incoming mail ( should start with smtp.___.___)
**note **the blank parts of both smtp & pop 3 should be the same

in Connection

1. check...always connect to this account using

>>>> 2. Local Area Network

if this does not help I suggest you call the cable company

hopefully it will
:) Savvy

one more thing... select your e-mail as default while in properties

if you still have a dialup account .... set it up separately from the cable acct.

BigDaveinNJ

Thanks for all the help I have received. I have straightened things out, for the most part... by entering the correct OUTGOING server, which is the CABLE server as opposed to the dial up one.

Now... something very unusual is happening... I CANNOT ALWAYS SEND MAIL TO MYSELF......

Has anyone ever heard of that happening. Others seem to be getting there mail but when I send a copy to myself or even an email..... I only get it sometimes.

Can this be some type of conflict. Not that it is that important to do this but sometimes I will send myself a copy of something that I want to save. I know there are other ways of doing this but was wondering why one would not be able to send something to themselves 100% of the time.

Thanks in advance

DAVID

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online