help hdd problem...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sherri24

I was going to upgrade my aunts hdd. She has a compaq deskpro P II umm 64 md ram and she had a 3.2 Gig hdd. I had an old computer sitting here and it had a 30 Gig hdd in. So i went to put in the 30 gig hdd and now it says invalid system disk please and press any key..I am abe to get it to load windows but it still says error. the only thing that i think could have done something was before i took the old hdd out i reformated it and then took the old one out leaving everything on it and put the other one it. It loads windows 98 but you get those error messages first...Can you please help..... also the computer is fully functionable after i press any key to get rid of the error message..... :eek:

just make sure jumper settings are correct. maybe format it and install windows again. Maybe even try an upgrade on your bios. just some ideas.
what is the model of your motherboard?

sherri24

how do i check to make sure that the jumper settings are correct...I don't think that i would attempt to update/upgrade my bios...that sounds too risky to me...as for the model number on the motherboard i can't seem to make it out.... al i know is that is it a P II....not much help sorry. Everything works ok except for that problem after i press any key it loads up fine is there any danger in leaving it this way....could it be the hdd that is going??? also are they suppose to get hot??? I just temporarily installed it to see if everything was gonna be ok and it was except for that problem and it gets quite hot... i'm going to put it in permanetly now but would like to fix the problem first... It recongizes that it is a 30 gig but says error...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online