Help Help Help Help Help Help!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

benseager

Hi,

I have been recently trying to fix a mate's laptop - and have come accross a few problems! If anyone knows of a solution - or where I can find one I would be most grateful. I will begin by listing what I've done so far and the specs of the machine - and what I'm aiming to do!

SPECS:
Not all the specs are vital here - its a machine capable of running XP fine - however, it does use a Compaq 8040B DVD-ROM drive, has no built in USB (mate's kid managed to disable it with a spoon) and thus relies on a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card for all USB devices. The only USB device I've tried to use so far is a Freecom CD-RW drive.

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR:
1. Formatted existing partition.
2. Attempted to use a win98 boot disk to begin a win98 setup (don't ask - he just wanted win98)
3. Boot disk would not install CDROM drivers as FDD and CDROM have to use the same 'multibay'.
4. Indefatigable, I grabbed my win2000 boot disks and began a setup.
5. Swapped FDD to CDROM when setup wasn't looking (and didn't need the FDD anymore).
6. Win2000 setup (and XP setup which I've tried since) keeps telling me that it can't find any CD-ROM drive. This I think is because of the type of drive.

WHAT I NEED TO DO:
1. Install an operating system, which means:
a. I need to get the right drivers onto the computer somehow!
b. Get setup to look at PCMCIA for CDROM drives

Thanks very much, and any help is VERY gratefully recieved. I must warn you that if any solutions require the use of the command line I'm going to need walking through them as my DOS experience is scant to say the least.

Cheers

Ben Seager

If this laptop has an ethernet network interface, and you have another computer, you can share the installation CD on the other computer and install from the share. You will need to get or make an MS-DOS boot disk with the network commands to address the network interface.

benseager

Nah, I thought of that one but alas - no ethernet, does have serial though - is it still possible to connect two computers using a serial cable?

Yes, with a crossed-over cable (pins 2 and 3, I think)...

Best bet would be to find the USB drivers for DOS and put them on your Win98 boot disk.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online