1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP!! Home Networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by teddytech, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teddytech

teddytech Thread Starter

I have a Small Business Server at home that I would like to configure for e-mail(MS Outlook), shared modem services, web hosting, terminal services, and RRAS. In addition, I have four workstations( Combo of 98's and 2000's) that I would like to connect to a small home network. I have a Linksys Cable/DSL Router with 4 ports. I also have a hub. On the server I have two NICS and two modems. How should I connect them all on a home network so that I can do everything mentioned above?

2. exocet

exocet

What operating system is the server using? If it's using Win2k Server, then i would set that up as a domain controller as well. You will want to link the hub to one port on the router. Make sure the server has its own port on your router. Then connect the next two important machines (that you want to have full dedicated bandwidth) to the remaining ports on the router. The remaining machines get the hub.

If your server machine is truly a server (using win2k server or the like) you can set up your own domain, and have the ability to define user rights and privileges. If your server machine is using wink2 pro or 98, then you may only set up a workgroup, and share whatever drives you need, in which all machines may have access as you see fit.

Two nics shouldnt be necessary on the server since you are sharing the internet connection using the router, not through ICS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice