1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help How to Run 2 Hard Drives with operating system on each

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by obedrodriguez, Dec 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. obedrodriguez

obedrodriguez Thread Starter

My pc have 2 hard drives with operating system xp each one. I installed one as master and the other as slave. I want run the pc with the 2 hard drives and operating system on each one. When i run my pc it runs well but when i want to open the slave hard drive I cant open it because a message say the i have to format the drive. ***How I run my pc with the 2 hard drives with operating system xp on each one?****

2. ryliecomputing

ryliecomputing

Hi,
    Question??? Am I correct in reading your post that you want to install windows XP on both hard drives? If so, why? just curious because doing so would seem to have no purpose. The reason I am asking is because usually in a dual boot you would install two different operating systems.

Anyways, if you are looking to dual boot there are a couple ways you can do this. You can change the boot order in CMOS when you want to boot to the other drive. My motherboard allows me to press F12 which brings up a boot menu so I can boot from another bootable disk. Not sure if your motherboard has that feature or not.

A more permenant way is to modify the boot.ini file on your computer and tell it you have another operating system on another hard drive. Search the net for directions on how to do this or if you can't find any let me know and I can help.

Oh, almost forgot. You said when you try to access your slave drive, it says you need to format the drive. Did you partition the drive and format it. You need to do this before you can install the operating system onto that drive.

Hope this helps,
    Sean

3. obedrodriguez

Thanks for the response.

I dont want to install windows XP on both, they already have it running fine and both have a lot of data. Now my pc have the 2 HD but when the master run and I Try to access the other say that i have to fortmat it. I think the problem is that the master and the slave has operating system. I suppose that only one must have the operating system but thats the problem i dont want to format one of the hd. I want to access both HD with windows XP installed on PC. How I do it ? THANK YOU AGAIN

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Were both of these drives in the system when xp was installed or did you move one drive from another system?

5. obedrodriguez

The other hd came from other pc.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Then you are not going to be able to boot from that drive. You cannot just move a drive with an nt based os like xp or win2k to another system and expect it to boot.

There is a procedure for moving an os, however it starts with the old mb installed NOT after you move the drive.

7. obedrodriguez

thanks

But i dont want to boot from ths slave. Only i want to access the other HD from the master like a drive.

8. obedrodriguez

dont want to install windows XP on both, they already have it running fine and both have a lot of data. Now my pc have the 2 HD but when the master run and I Try to access the other say that i have to fortmat it. I think the problem is that the master and the slave has operating system. I suppose that only one must have the operating system but thats the problem i dont want to format one of the hd. I want to access both HD with windows XP installed on PC. How I do it ? THANK YOU AGAIN

9. obedrodriguez

Thanks for the response.

I dont want to install windows XP on both, they already have it running fine and both have a lot of data. Now my pc have the 2 HD but when the master run and I Try to access the other say that i have to fortmat it. I think the problem is that the master and the slave has operating system. I suppose that only one must have the operating system but thats the problem i dont want to format one of the hd. I want to access both HD with windows XP installed on PC. How I do it ? THANK YOU AGAIN

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Having an os on the second drive has nothing to do with the problem. The drive itself may be failing or it may have been originally installed using a drive overlay app [or a drive overlay may have been used on your existing system]
    Open a command prompt and run chkdsk /r on the drive in question; see what it says about the drive.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/524479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice