1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help! I am exposed to the world

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by volcanobob, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. volcanobob

volcanobob Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop running windows XP pro with service pack 2, build date was 11/06. I had trend micro Pc-cillin installed when I bought it and for some reason it will not update the virus software. It connects and downloads the updates then when its done downloading it says there is an error message that says "update unsucessful, check your internet connection and try again." I have tried again like 15 or 20 times now (every time it takes me about 25 minutes to download) and have chatted with Trend Micro people to try to fix this but so far nothing has worked. I am thinking someone must have had something similar happen to them if I have two Dell computers with basically the same OS on both and similar configurations both doing the same thing. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

25 minutes to download? Wow! Do you have dial-up for internet?

3. volcanobob

No its not dial up but I think its just because I was thinking it was being updated all along automatically and it hadn't been and now I need so many updates it's a huge amount of info.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

OK then it is either DSL or Cable and are you using any download accelerators on your broadband connection?

5. Blazintails

Blazintails

Did you try turning off your firewall or antivirus program before you try to update?

6. volcanobob

no I didn't know there was such a thing

7. volcanobob

I did turn off my firewall first

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

There are filters that the ISP have in place for spam and other things that also will affect the downlaods, to find out if this is the problem a call to the ISP might solve the problem if it is that.

What anti-virus and firewall are you using?

9. volcanobob

its Trend Micro PC cillin 14 for Dell and thier firewall

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice