1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help I am stuck in MS-Dos!!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by buffetajoe, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buffetajoe

buffetajoe Thread Starter

I have windows 95 & I am stuck in Dos mode! no matter how many times I reboot, I can not get back to windows. It starts in Dos mode & I can't get out of it. Please help!!!!!!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Assuming you are at the c:\ prompt, try typing:

c:\windows\win

Do you get to Windows? Do you get an error message?

If you get to Windows, from Windows, run sysedit and copy/paste here the contents of both autoexec.bat and config.sys

3. buffetajoe

buffetajoe Thread Starter

I found this info & this is exactly what happened:

Windows computer only starts in MS-DOS.
    Issue:Windows computer only starts in MS-DOS.

Cause:

Commonly this issue occurs when another program or game is restarted into a MS-DOS mode for compatibility reasons but is improperly restarted.

They gave me this solution to try:

Solution: From the MS-DOS prompt type the following lines.
    Type cd\
    Type attrib msdos.sys -r -a -s -h
    Type edit msdos.sys
    Locate the line BOOTGUI=0 and change the line to BOOTGUI=1

The BOOTGUI does say zero but it will not allow me to change it to one & I still can not start windows at all!

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The article is correct, but I'm not sure what problem you are having with the change.

First, there can be more than one msdos.sys. But the one that is active is on the c: drive

So from the c:\ > prompt type:

attrib -h -r -s msdos.sys
    edit msdos.sys

Now the file should be open in the DOS editor. You should be able to just make the change and save it.

What is the exact problem you are encountering?

Also, even if that msdos.sys bootgui=0 configuration is present, you still should be able to boot windows by entering win at either the c: prompt or the c:\windows prompt.

What happens if you do that?

edit

Ok, I think I know what problem you are encountering. I just tried doing this on my Win98 system and it was difficult to get the editor to accept the change. I kept getting the same value. Here is what works:

Move the arrow key to the right, beyond the bootgui=0 value and then backspace over it to remove the '0'. You should then be able to enter the '1'.

If this does not work, just backspace over the entire entry and delete it. The default is 1 if no entry is present.

ALT+F pressed together gives you the file save and exit menu. Press 'S' to save then ALT+X to exit.

Ctrl-alt-del or enter win to boot windows.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice