1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help I am tearing my hair out with XP Home Edition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CKT, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CKT

CKT Thread Starter

:( Hi Guys,
    Windows XP Home Edition.
    Could some of you help me with this problem. My computer crashed last week with the message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt Isapnp.sys. I believe this to be almost the most important file in Windows. I cannot get into the computer at all and I can't repair the file as it tells me by putting in the Windows disks and typing 'r' for repair as I don't have the original disks. Have already tried with someone elses disks.

My computer's mother board and processor died just out of waranty last year and I had a new one of each replaced in the computer and the memory upgraded in a new case and all the usable stuff put back in but I didn't have the
    original windows key that came with my computer (long story) so the tech guy put his version on for me. Now I don't have any disks to fix the problem, I have moved since and he is 6,000 Klms away from me and really of no
    help.

Can anyone suggest what I can do.
    Thanks
    CKT

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I know of no way to recover from that without the XP CD.

Operating with no CD and no COA leaves you with little ability to ever do anything.

3. thegooddale

thegooddale

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Official remedy http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315311

See if you can borrow an XP Home CD. As long as it has the same service pack number as the service pack on your system it should be OK.

If it doesn't have SP2 ask the owner to make a copy with SP2 slipstreamed into it. Use AutoStreamer 1·0 to do the slipstreaming.

It helps to wear a crash helmet or balaclava for the hair problem. :D

5. CKT

CKT Thread Starter

(y)

Thanks guys for the advice, shall let you know what happens. But I think the only end result is I am going to have to buy a whole new copy of windows and put it on so if this ever happens again I will have my very own disks to repair etc.

Thanks

CKT

6. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

I would call the Technician and ask him to post you a copy with the key. It may well be a Corporate Edition, so as far as I know, he has the right to do so.

I bought my own copy $249

Should have tried here: http://www.buysoftware.ws/pd_microsoft_windows.cfm.

7. CKT

CKT Thread Starter

(y)

Thankyou I shall do that!

CKT

8. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

(y)

Let us know how it works out! :)

9. CKT

CKT Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
    My problem with XP is partly solved but seems to have caused a few more along the way. I called the technician who did answer my call once and explained the problem with the corrupt file and got the feeling he really wasn't interested now I have moved and couldn't bring the computer in to fix. I have called him several times since the suggestion of asking him to send me the copy of the Windows he put on my computer, no answer and I don't think he ever will. So I did the round about way out of this problem. I formatted the hard drive and put on a copy of Windows 98 first Ed and then updated to Windows SE, hopefully I now can update to XP and have my own copy in doing that. But one problem seems to lead to another now I keep getting fatal Exceptions when I run Scandisk and my computer crashes. The computer tells me I need to defrag and scandisk but I get no further any suggestions guys.

Thanks again

CKT

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If your computer hardware is recent, do the drivers even exist for it under Windows 98 or SE I wonder?

Perhaps the root problem is now the motherboard drivers, where did you find any 98 ones?

11. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

If you have original Microsoft CDs for '98/'98se then you could buy the upgrade version of XP, with SP2, and do a clean install of XP using the '98 CD as qualifying media.

XP works much better as a clean install on NTFS and with the XPCD you can partition and format directly to NTFS.

I could help us if you posted the full system specifications including the drive size as it is also better to run XP on a partitioned drive, unless you have two drives, Small Master/Large Slave.

I bought this computer as a shop demonstrator with ME on a single partition 60Gb drive. It was useless as FAT32 is only fully supported up to 32Gb. So, for a while I partitioned the drive and ran ME. Nightmare until I made a drive image of the C: drive partition to restore from insttead of relying on System Restore.

After four years the 60Gb OEM Tattoed drive failed, so I fitted an 80Gb 7,200 rev/min drive with an 8Mb drive-cache and partitioned it properly. ME defrag ran four times faster than with the 2Mb drive cache and so did ScanDisk!

There is an MS KB article about problems with the '98 drive utilities where it says that with some systems it is advisable to format the drive to 8192bytes in each allocation unit to allow the drive utilities to run properly.

You get 8192 (8k) clusters over 8192Mb (8·0Gb) drive size so a lot of older '98 computers with 10Gb drives will format naturally to 8k clusters, no problem.

Smaller than 8192Mb and over a certain size (I forget without looking it up) you can force the formatting to produce 8k clusters using:

A:\>format c: /Z:16

But with NTFS you need a 4096 (4k) cluster size. So the FAT32 drive should be formatted using:

A:\>format c: /Z:8

As the FAT32 cluster is now the same size as the NTFS cluster it should convert easily.

So you see that clean formatting to NTFS is a lot easier using the XP CD deleting all old partitions and making new ones.

FYI This is what I did with my new drive for XP Professional:

Clean Install XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Example of partitioning an 80Gb drive: (Maxtor Diamondmax 7,200 rev/min with 8Mb drive-cache.)

80Gb (Decimal size) = 80,000,000,000 Bytes , divide by 1024 three times to give the Binary sizing:

78125000 Kb
    76293·95 Mb
    74·51 Gb

(10·0Gb = 10,000,000,000 Bytes (÷ 1024) = 9765625 Kb (÷ 1024) = 9536·74 Mb (÷ 1024) = 9·313 Gb)

Drive C: 10240 Mb (10·0Gb) Operating System & Programming. 2000 Min & Max paging file. (2048Mb on the drive.) (Drive Image Backup to CDRs or Data DVDs)

Drive D: 10240 Mb (10·0Gb) (My) Documents & Email Folders.
    (Copy Backups to CDRs or Data DVDs)

Drive E: 20480 Mb (20·0Gb) Music only.
    (Drive Image Backup, otherwise original Audio CDs)

Drive F: Remaining Drive Space. Archive, Video, etc.
    (Archive Copy Backup to CDRs and/or Data DVDs)

Drive F: also has an Automated System Recovery (ASR) BackupC.bkf file for drive C: , to use with an ASR floppy.

All drives are partitioned & FULL formatted, directly from the Windows XP CD, to NTFS

The installation uses Diskeeper 9 Professional, with Frag-Shield, to defragment the paging file and Master File Tables and to pad the Master File Tables when necessary.

NOTE: With 512Mb or more RAM, it might not be necessary to have a paging file and you might be able to disable the paging executive in the registry. This should be taken into consideration when looking for performance.

NOTE: Defragmenting the paging file and Master File Tables improves performance, as does running on 4192 bytes per allocation unit clusters, which is the default size for NTFS systems.

I hope that it may be of some help to you.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

RAM-PAGE,

Been seeing this post copied to a lot of other threads.

Are you always recommending having 4 different partitions? Isn't another possibility to just to keep all you data orgainized on the D: drive. For example, just put it in something like a D:\data\photos, d:\data\music etc.
    Also, not sure that 10 gigs would always be enough for everyone's OS and program files. I've also found that, since you never fill up a partition, having too many wastes a lot unused of space like this.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice