Help! I Can not defrag my C drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

acholeb

Hello to all,

When I try to defrag my C drive I get the following error message:
"execute chkdsk/f. " What does that mean and what can I do ?

Any help is very much appreciated

Thanks so much
Acholeb

Rache

Banned
My Computer/right-click 'c'/properties/tools, and select error checking. It will check disc on reboot.

acholeb

Thanks for your help !
I tryied to to check the C drive for errors, but I get an error msg " unable to continue the check" :mad:
Any ideas what I could do?

Thanks
Acholeb

awalker0878

Removed by request
Try this method.
start \ run:"fsutil dirty set c:" \ ok

now restart your machine

acholeb

:( Sorry to bother you again, but it doesn't work, it says that this file is damaged:mad:

I'm getting nuts.........

Thanks again
Acholeb

awalker0878

Removed by request
before you download that program from web fix errors on the volume otherwise you risk data loss.

insert your xp cd into cdrom drive
%cdromdrive%=drive letter of cd drive with xp in it

start \run: "expand %cdromdrive%:\i386\fsutil.ex_ c:\Windows\system32"

then try running fsutil from previos post

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
frankjohn said:
Go to web and down load fast defrag.FREE
This Fast Defrag?? (which is the home of the one offered on SnapFiles and MajorGeeks)

First, it does NOT defrag disk and secondly it purports to defrag ram which is architecturally impossible also.

So, I'm not sure why anyone would run it? :confused:

awalker0878

Removed by request
if you must defrag your drive without fixing errors (not recommended!) goto start then run and type "defrag c: -f" but like I said not recommended! until you fix errors on your volume because you risk data loss!

acholeb

:( Sorry, I'm getting a bit confused now.
I am not particularly keen about defragging my disc LOL it's just that I make it from time to time.
Last time I had errors I re-installed XP and my computer was completely messed up and I wasn't able to fix it myself. ( well, yes I am a dummy in that)
If I get you right I can fix the errors with the XP installation disc? I mean, I can ONLY fix the errors, not re-install it completely?

Sorry for all these questions

Thanks again
Acholeb

You possibly have a registry or file error that is preventing chkdsk from executing.

Try going to Start > Run, and typing:

chkdsk /f

OK.

Answer "Y" to the question of whether you want to fix errors on reboot and then reboot.

If that doesn't work, insert your XP CD. Click "Exit" if it autoruns.

Then, go to Start > Run, and type:

cmd

OK.

At the prompt in the command window that opens, type:

sfc /scannow <Enter>

This will scan your drive for corrupt Windows files and fix them. Then try chkdsk again. If it succeeds, try defrag.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online