1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! I can't install Windows 7 - even with the OS disk!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tricon7, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

I had a failed Norton Ghost hard drive transfer recently onto my new internal hard drive, so I got tired of endless troubleshooting, I gave up and just bought a new Windows 7 Home Version 64-bit OS (I had lost my laptop copy) to install from (my laptop had been giving me a "no operating system found" error at bootup, and every option I tried to get it back failed). This disk isn't a burned ISO image - it was bought from Best Buy and is directly from Microsoft.

Tonight, once I installed the new disk and it began to boot from it, it asked me if I wanted to upgrade (which it said required a running OS) or custom install (brand new, where existing files/folders/programs won't be saved). I opted for the custom install. So it started loading windows, and I saw the Windows logo again (finally), but just a minute or two into the installation I got an error message:

"The installation was cancelled. Any changes that were made to your computer during the installation process will not be saved."

A popup box below that said, "Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation." Huh?

I'm thinking maybe if the hard drive is formatted clean the installation might work? But if the necessary files aren't on a full OS disk, where are they supposed to be?! I'd format the hard drive clean if I thought that would work, but I can't find how to get to the command prompt window to do a HD format without a working OS.

Help (again)!

Addendum: upon reboot, instead of me getting the message "operating system not found," it now says "BOOTMGR is missing. Press Crtl+Alt+Del to continue." I haven't gotten that before. And when the installation failed, it never even got to the point where it asked me for my product key. I don't know if that matters or not.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This How to format C: before reinstall Windows 7? should answer some of your questions.

It's possible that error message about the required files was really indicating a hard drive problem rather than what it seems to say, so I concur with your theory that a format may help matters.

3. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

Success! After I got my initial error, I rebooted, put the OS disk back in, and tried again. This time I guess it had installed from the disk whatever missing files it hadn't found the first time. Anyway, it went through the entire installation process without issue. Strange, but my 1TB hard drive (C: ) shows only 700GB+ available -- this Windows 7 installation consumed over 200GB of space?! :confused:

Now my task is that all my Samsung drivers for this laptop were wiped away when the drive got formatted. I know that I can get drivers from their website, but the thing is that I don't know which drivers I need. It's like a cafeteria line - pick the drivers from their list that looks like something I may need and see what happens. I know that I don't have network connectivity, and my VGA monitor listing is just a basic one. Sound card, touchpad.... Guess I'll have to download and install them all. Any other drivers that may be deemed necessary I should look for?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unless there are specific instructions for your model start with the chipset drivers, then networking, graphics, and whatever else is still needed.

5. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

I'm having some issues. I downloaded and installed all the Windows 7 drivers listed on the following link (select "Driver" at the left):

http://www.samsung.com/in/support/model/NP-R580-JT01IN-downloads?isManualDownload=true

Now my laptop is weirding out, freezing and not responding at times - even in safe mode. I have a feeling that some, not all, of these drivers should have been installed. For example, after I installed all of them, I saw a whole slew of items listed underneath Network Adapters in Device Manager, like eight different WAN Miniports, a Microsoft ISATAP adapter, and a Marvell Yukon PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller. But I have no way of knowing which ones not to install (or delete) if they're listed for Windows 7. I tried to delete a few of the miniports, figuring that I didn't need them; now Network and Sharing Center won't open at all. :( This is so frustrating.

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

I apologize, TerryNet. I do not want to interfere with your instructions.

tricon7: You note: "on the following link.", but I see no link.

Please provide the link, & / or the model & model # of your Samsung laptop.

I agree with TN about the chipset drivers being the 1st driver to install.

I had a similar problem with a Dell laptop. Someone at Dell's forum told me that 1 of the drivers needed was not on the Dell product support page. How one is supposed to be aware of the need to install a driver not listed on Dell's product support page is beyond me. I hope that you do not encounter similar problems.

RF123

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

You might consider contacting Samsung tech support. They might be willing to provide you with 1 or more DVDs that will automatically install W7, the drivers & OEM provided programs [ assuming that you have no aversion to said OEM provided software ].

RF123

8. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

Hmm - not sure why you don't see the link. I have a Samsung R580, 64-bit laptop.

I'll try to paste it here two ways.

http://www.samsung.com/in/support/model/NP-R580-JT01IN-downloads?isManualDownload=true

and

Select "Drivers" to the left, and from there I downloaded and installed all the drivers for Windows 7 onto my laptop.

Forget my router, when I connected directly into my modem and selected "connect to the Internet", it asks me how I want to connect and gives me only one option - "Broadband (PPPoE) - connect using DSL or cable that requires a user name and password." Why is it needing a username and password to get onto the Internet, and why doesn't it have my network card to pick from?

Unfortunately, due to my work schedule and Samsung's hours of live chat support, I can only contact them on Saturday - three days away. It would be nice to find a solution to this before then without having to re-install Windows 7.....again.

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

t 7:
    Thanks for providing the requested information.

I strongly suggest that you remvoe the "Solved" from this thread's title.
    Left click "thread tools".

Using the link you provided, left click "support". Left click "pc". Left click the choices until you have selected your laptop's model #.
    They oifer email & phone support in addition to Live Chat.

Using your favorite search engine, enter the following:
    driver installation order samsung "np-R580ve"

I think that there multiple potential answers to your situation.

Keep us posted.

RF123

I did NOT mention your router.
    "Please provide the link, & / or the model & model # of your Samsung laptop."

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

At http://www.samsung.com/in/support/model/NP-R580-JT01IN-downloads, I see 9 W7 drivers; 3 are wireless.

Install them, per TerryNet's instructions.
    Create a system restore point before each driver.

THEN, install 1 of the wireless drivers.

If that doesn't permit wi fi connectivity:
    uninstall that driver
    reboot
    run system restore & select the restore point you created before you inatllaed wi driver A.
    Reboot
    Create a restore point.
    Try Wi Fi driver B

etc

RF123

12. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

I managed to get my OS working, and I can even get online with my laptop directly connected to the modem now. However, my wireless icon on the taskbar has a big fat red X on it and it says "Not connected - no connections are available." When I look in Device Manager under Network Devices, I don't have one item and it's not wireless (it's Marvell Yukon xxxx Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller which, I guess, is what allows me to get online wired).

There are only three wireless drivers listed at Samsung's website, and the Samsung rep said my laptop needed the Atheros wireless drivers. They're the only ones on the laptop after deleting the others, but no matter what I do, I still have that red X on my taskbar.

Is wireless somehow disabled? I don't see a switch anywhere on the laptop to toggle. Could it be a function key? I see the F9 key has a wireless icon, but activating it makes no difference.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice