1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! I can't mailmerge from Excel 2003 to Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dmbriguy7, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmbriguy7

dmbriguy7 Thread Starter

I just recently upgraded my Outlook from 2003 to 2007 and although some of the icons and things are flashier, I am having loads of trouble trying to figure out how to do a mailmerge. Currently, I have all of my email addresses in an Excel 2003 file under two columns "Name" and "Email".

Can anyone help me figure out how to do a mail merge from Excel to Outlook 2007? I basically want to have an existing message where it will insert the "name" into the message and send it to the "email" listed in Excel. I could do it no problem in the old version.

Thanks!

2. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum.

You use Word to create the mail merge which sends it via Outlook using Excel as the data source. You are not trying to do the mail merge directly from Excel right?

3. dmbriguy7

dmbriguy7 Thread Starter

i was trying to do it from excel. my co-worker showed me how to do it from excel to outlook when we still had outlook 2003. it was a piece of cake.

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    That was when you were using Word as an email editor in Outlook. Try doing it via MS Word and see if you need help. You access it via "Tools">>"Letters and Mailings">>"Mail Merge" from the menu bar if you are using Word 2003.

5. dmbriguy7

dmbriguy7 Thread Starter

right, but then my problem is that when it asks me for a recipient list, it wont accept the name/emails i have typed there. I don't have an existing list, some of the people aren't in my outlook contacts, and having to manually input them by putting them in "type a new list" is what i'm trying to avoid!

6. PrurientCherubim

PrurientCherubim

What do you mean it won't accept your list? Are you getting an error message?

If you choose to do an "email message" mail merge starting from Word, you should just be able to browse to your current excel file as the recipient list.

(Tip: sometimes it helps to Select the data in the excel file and create a Named Range)

7. dmbriguy7

dmbriguy7 Thread Starter

grr! i should have paid more attention in my computer science class in college.

I was referring to word not accepting my list if i just typed it out in word, not excel. i think i figured out how to do a named range, but what should i do with that after i save it?

8. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    OK walk me through the steps you have done. A name range is a totally different thing. Did you setup the mail merge and connect to the database? If so one of the last steps when you complete the merge asks you to tell it the field that you are using for email addresses.

9. dmbriguy7

dmbriguy7 Thread Starter

okay...i figured out how to do everything. now my only question is why it won't let me send the mail via html. i have to do it via plain text which loses my bold and italic functions? is there a way to fix this?

again, i am using word 2003 and outlook 2007.

10. PrurientCherubim

PrurientCherubim

Let me preface this by saying - I don't have Outlook 2007...

In Outlook 2003
    Tools
    Options
    Mail Format
    Select HTML in the dropdown for Compose Message
    And Check the boxes to use Word as the email editor

I'm hoping there will be something simlar in 2007???

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice