HELP! I can't play games with my new Radeon 9600 Video Card!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Triple6

Rob
It really does look like its the card itself doesn't it, skivvy.

Well, It is an ATI card so you are covered even if the seller is a jerk and won't replace it. I'd say try it in another machine. If it doesn't work in it contact the seller. If the seller isn't receptive contact ATI.

If it were to work fine in another machine, get a power supply. Low power can make a card go whacko, but what you have is really bad.

One thing we haven't tried. Try removing and reseating the 9600 once. I just replied to another poster to try that. If you aren't getting proper contact with the slot, that could do it.

Marrvia

When I removed the cover to take a look at the power supply, I did that, it didn't seem to make a difference though. If I am to buy a new power supply, what to you think would be a good choice? About how many watts are recommended, and are they easy to install?

At least a 350 watt from a good manufacturer. I love Antec power supplies. They are more money but if they say 350 you get 350, not 280.;)

Marrvia

Thanks for the help. But actually over the day, I've decided on getting a new computer all together. I've had this one for about a year and a half now, and I thought I would be using for at least a couple years to come, but I seems, lately, I've putting a lot into upgrading, and switching parts, since I've only just recently got in PC gaming. So I'm just going to go "High-end". So I won't have to upgrade for a very long time(hopefully). Right now, I'm eyeing a very sweet computer, with 6GHz CPU and an Nvideo 6800 ultra, and 4gb ram, and a tons of hard drives space, and oh yeah, a 600 watt power supply. Hopefully I'll have it by end of the week. If I buy this one, that is.

alwrmc

B.L.
I agree with Skivvywaver, that looks like a Video card/driver problem. I don't think it is Power supply related. My 9600 ran Halflife 2 very well with the drivers that came out of the box when I installed the card. I have had no problems with drivers so I have not needed to update them. I think you have something conflicting with the Video card drivers. Any over clocking??? Video card settings? Antialiasing? Remove the old drivers COMPLETELY before installing the 9600? etc...

Triple6

Rob
Hmm, coming off EBAY and with extra cooling maybe it is overclocked. Maybe you didn't overclock it but maybe the seller did by flashing it with a modded BIOS. You will need to know which version of the 9600 it is though; ie 9600 SE, regular, PRO, or XT. Again if it was modded Windows may report the wrong model but check the box and see if there are any stickers on the card that identify it such as a model/serial number.

Download Everest: http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3
After installing it go to Display -> GPU section in the program and check the GPU Clock and Effective Clock(under Memory Bus Properties).

Also in Everest it will report the temps of the card, other temps, and some voltages. Check those out as well. Thats under Computer -> Sensor.

Yeah, reading his disclaimer would make me wonder about the OC also. Non stock ramsinks on a brand new card?? I'd get in touch with that dude very quickly. I would almost bet money he has at the very least modded the bios which is as easy as dumping the bios and downloading radedit.

I modded a bios for my own use and then bought another card. I sold the other card but I told the guy I had modded the bios, (this was a 9800 pro that already had a declocked XT bios as well as a 360 core. I just brought the card up to XT speeds. Also brought the Hynix ram up to specs.) and offered to put it back stock. He wanted the card as it was. I think what I did was honest.

If this dude did this and sold it without informing the customer it is pretty close to fraud in my opinion. I would just tell him to give me back my money.

Disclaimer below.

All items come with 45 days Dealer's replacement warranty and a limited one-year manufacturer's warranty.
We guarantee each item to be free of defects but we are not responsible for any incompatibility problems.
All RMA returns shipping must be prepaid by the buyer, insured and bearing a Return Material Authorization (RMA) number on the shipping label.
All sales are final, non-refundable.
$8.00 fee is charge for all RMA return.
Units returned will be tested. If found defective a replacement will be shipped immediately.
A 20% stocking fees will applied on all refund item.

Marrvia said:
Thanks for the help. But actually over the day, I've decided on getting a new computer all together. I've had this one for about a year and a half now, and I thought I would be using for at least a couple years to come, but I seems, lately, I've putting a lot into upgrading, and switching parts, since I've only just recently got in PC gaming. So I'm just going to go "High-end". So I won't have to upgrade for a very long time(hopefully). Right now, I'm eyeing a very sweet computer, with 6GHz CPU and an Nvideo 6800 ultra, and 4gb ram, and a tons of hard drives space, and oh yeah, a 600 watt power supply. Hopefully I'll have it by end of the week. If I buy this one, that is.
Ive got to think you meant 4ghz, dont think there are any 6ghz pcz out there at least not for the general public to buy.

Marrvia

Here's what it says under those sections, I don't know what any of it means though to be honest.

----GPU
Field Value
Graphics Processor Properties
Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9600 (RV350)
GPU Code Name RV350
PCI Device 1002 / 4150
Transistors 76 million
Process Technology 0.13u
Bus Type AGP 8x
Memory Size 256 MB
GPU Clock 324 MHz (original: 324 MHz)
RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz
Pixel Pipelines 4
TMU Per Pipeline 1
Vertex Shaders 2 (v2.0)
Pixel Shaders 1 (v2.0)
DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v9.0
Pixel Fillrate 1296 MPixel/s
Texel Fillrate 1296 MTexel/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR
Bus Width 128-bit
Real Clock 189 MHz (DDR) (original: 189 MHz)
Effective Clock 378 MHz
Bandwidth 6048 MB/s

Graphics Processor Manufacturer
Company Name ATI Technologies Inc.
Product Information http://www.ati.com/products/gamer.html
Driver Download http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

----SENSOR
Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Winbond W83637HF (ISA 290h)

Temperatures
Motherboard 34 °C (93 °F)
CPU 37 °C (99 °F)
Aux 34 °C (93 °F)
Maxtor 6B300S0 38 °C (100 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 1350 RPM
Chassis 1308 RPM
Power Supply 1740 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.51 V
CPU Aux 3.14 V
+3.3 V 3.34 V
+5 V 5.05 V
-12 V -9.15 V
-5 V -0.77 V
VBAT Battery 1.50 V

----------------------
And on the box, the serial tag say...
ATI R9600 256m DDR Vga Card
hyr96 256m 5120113

----------------------
I'm going to email this guy and ask about it. Hopefully get my money back or at least get it replaced.

Marrvia

brite750 said:
Ive got to think you meant 4ghz, dont think there are any 6ghz pcz out there at least not for the general public to buy.
On the describtion is says this...

Dual Intel Pentium 4 Xeon 6.12Ghz processor(s) 1600FSB with Hyper-Threading Technology (2x 3.06Ghz 800FSB)

If that's the same as 6ghz, I'm not totally sure, what do you think?

Triple6

Rob
No, thats 2 CPU's each running at 3.06Ghz. Also that would be a highend professional workstation or server system not something for a home user.

Those clock speeds put the card roughly where the regular Radeon 9600 should be. The Memory is actually running slower then it should. It should be 200Mhz real and 400MHz effective.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online