1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! I can't retreve my netscape email.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Kree8, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kree8

Kree8 Thread Starter

My husband cleaned up the hardware and I was able to get my netscape email, but something wasn't right with the email window. Our system is Microsoft-Windows 2000 and I use Netscape as my browser and my email until they sold it to aim/Aol. I changed my password a few times and even added a new screen name to make sure aim was working. For 2 weeks I have been on the phone for hours & hours calling Netscape & aol (I joined aol, because they say I could move my old email into my new email). Netscape said they can only handle .com and AOL has me calling a lot of people who can't help me. It has been a big waste of time and is very frustrating. A message came up saying my email doesn't match my screen name. When I put in my screen name & password the message is: Invalid screen name or password. I've tried to change my password and the result is: click on the link that was sent to your email to change your password. The only problem is I can't get into my email. I've had Netscape for years and I don't think I have an alternate email connected to Netscape. I sent an email from my aim address to my netscape address to see if it would come back and it didn't so I'm still getting email. PLEASE I have business info in my email and I really need it. I would really appricate it if someone can help me. I want my life back.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I got lost somewhere, so if the following two things are what you've been doing, my apologies.

Go to http://www.aim.com and click on "Mail" (right below the AIM Beta) and try your Netscape ID/screen name and your last known good password.

In Netscape Communicator - Edit - Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings. Create, or check, an account for [email protected], where "oldnet" is your old Netscape ID/screen name. Actually, that has to be the email address; use whatever account name you want.

In Server settings you need Type: IMAP Mail Server, Server Name: imap.aim.com, Name: oldnet (as above).

Any mail sent to [email protected] should be going to the same place as [email protected].

3. Kree8

Kree8 Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. The first time I checked my email after he cleaned the hard drive it worked in aim.com, but the email screen was only letting me view 4 emails even if the setting was set to view 20. I couldn't write either, because the space was so small. That's why my husband reloaded Netscape again. It was down hill after that. I'm going to try the other way you suggested tomorrow. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks again I really appreciate your suggestions.

4. hewee

hewee

Well if the email was not deleted then it is on your drive still but you have a new profile or something that keeps you from seeing it.

What version of Netscape do you have? If you got what was out before AOL then you got a really old 4.x version and should really upgrade it to the newer Seamonkey.

NETSCAPE, MOZILLA, and FIREFOX SOLUTIONS

Mail

Profiles

So your need to the Mail Account Folder Location

Then Manually Transfer Mail Files

Backup any folder first so you know that you have a good copy before you move anything or backup and the copy the first over to the mail folder your using.

If you have more then one your find then by using the email program that is working but not seeing your email by opening it up and then closing it.
    Then look at the profile mail folders and your see what one have the newer dates. You could even make a email and save it as a draft so your see a ne date on the draft files in the mail folder.
    Once you know what profile folder that is the one that works you can move a copy of your mail over. If you already have email in the newer working profile folder and you want to keep it then open the mail program and make a new folder with a name that is not the same as in your older email folder and move the email into that folder so when you mover you inbox, send etc over it will not over write your mail. Once you get all mail moved over then you can move the email out of that new folder to what ever folder you want.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    hewee, I had the same reaction as you did. But I'm guessing that Kree8 doesn't really mean when AOL bought Netscape years ago, but rather is referring to when AOL changed the Netscape ISP/portal to be a "social network." This happened September (or late August?), 2006. At that time AOL swore that netscape.net email addresses would be good for life (theirs or mine?) but made them identical to aim.com addresses, and in a not-well-communicated procedure switched to new servers.

So, Kree8, what are you talking about? The 2006 event as I described, or the years ago AOL purchase of Netscape?

6. hewee

hewee

Ok let me see if I get what your saying.
    This is netscape mail but not the email you save on your PC tru netscape mail program but it is the web base netscape mail.

When I installed netscape over the years after it was taken over by AOL I never install or clicked on the webmail so have never used it and was told not to use it my Ramona the web site owner posted above. Plus I always did a custom install the way she said too and even then I installed the SillyDog701 version http://sillydog.org/narchive/ and had the Netscape 7.x Streamline versions where things are taken out. http://sillydog.org/narchive/sd/702.html

I had stopped using the netscape web base email after AOL took it over years ago because it was nice and the it went to ???? after AOL got it.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Obviously we need Kree8 to get back to us. I don't know for sure if she is trying to read new mail, retrieve saved mail or both. As long as we keep giving her different ideas maybe we'll eventually be of help!

Personally, for the record, for years I've mostly read my @netscape.net (which is now also @aim.com) and other mail accounts with the Netscape 7 email client on my "main" computer. When using another computer I use a browser and web based mail to access those same mail accounts.

8. Kree8

Kree8 Thread Starter

We have Netscape 2000. Everything was fine until my husband cleaned the hard drive. When I went into my aim account the window was weird. It would only let me view 4 emails and I couldn't write any emails. The window was to small. That's when I started changing things. I added another aim account to see if aim was working. That aim email works the problem is getting my old email back. When I went into aim and tried to change my screen name & put in my old screen name it said it was taken, so I know the screen name still exsists. When I try can't remember password like I said it says invlaid screen name or password or it's sending a message to my email. SOmetimes it comes up with a security question, but it rejects my answer. DO you think this has to do with our Firewall? I just read that AIM uses port 443 and that's not showing on our firewall.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, I don't know what Netscape 2000 is, and don't have any further insights into the problem(s).

10. Kree8

Kree8 Thread Starter

I think my old screen name was suspended probably by aol. How can I check this?

11. hewee

hewee

Don't use any chat program or have I used netscape web email after AOL too over. Got to there site and read the FAQ.
    Send a email to them telling them what you did.

Sorry I don't know more to help out. May someone else can help you better.

12. Kree8

Kree8 Thread Starter

I'm trying to receive my old email that was under netscape.net that was switched to aim.com.
    I had 2 screen names in netscape and I found out tonight one was suspended. I have no idea why, but that was the screen name I used for years. It's probably the one that has my email in it. How do I unsuspend it? I'm guessing from what I've read that AOL is responsible. Of course when I contacted AOL they said they're not responsible for aim. Make sense?

I had to emails. Netscape & Yahoo. I mainly used Netscape. When my husband reloaded Netscape he used Version 8.1.2 instead of 7. That's when all the problems with my email began. I also lost all my bookmarks too. Any suggestions?

13. Kree8

Kree8 Thread Starter

I tried to email them by using Live chat, but like I said they (AOL) said they couldn't help me.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If "My husband cleaned up the hardware" included deleting your bookmarks files and email, then for sure you lost your email and bookmarks and AOL cannot help you. (Otherwise your bookmarks should have migrated forward to Netscape 8.)

Restore them from your backup, or add "periodically backup any data I do not want to lose" to your list of New Year's resolutions. :)

Netscape 8 only includes the browser. You have to use Netscape 7 for email or anything else other than browser.

15. hewee

hewee

Do a search on your PC for bookmarks and see how many you got. Then see if you have more then one in other profiles. If you do have other profiles then if the email etc was really saved to your PC and not the web base email account then maybe all your have to do is get the email from that profile over to the profile your using.
    I can help you do that.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice