Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! I can't work the Zipfile I Installed

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  hewee 
#1 ·
I just installed IZArc 3.4.1.6 and I don't know how to use it. I read the help section and still don't know how to use it.

When I open IZArc,at the top says File>View>Tools?Options>Help.
Under this it has New>Open>Favorites>Add>Extract>View>Checkout

Add>Extract>View>Checkout are all paled out. Why ? What good is "Extract" if it's all paled out and you can't use it? Am I not doing something right ? If someone can help me , I would appreciate it, but if I cannot resolve this, I will just have to uninstall it and find another zipfile tool to download

Thanks,
Jillian

#3 ·
I used IZArc a long time ago, and it is a good program. I don't use it right now, though. There are also a few other freeware file compressor/decompressors around and basically they all work very similar. I'll have to try and explain what I believe you should be seeing.

First, ONCE INSTALLED you almost never have to directly open the program again. That's because you usually only need to open the program to compress a selection of files, and most people only need these types of programs to uncompress a ZIP file they have received.

Second, even when you do want to compress files, there are probably selections you can right-click to get what you want, anyway.

And finally, third, when the program is installed then you will already have the associations set on your computer so that by double-clicking a ZIP file the IZArc will open by itself, and then you just make some selections as to where you want the files to be extracted placed.

The reason you see only grayed out commands by opening IZArc is because it is not holding a pending ZIP file to do anything with. By having it open, as you have, you could use the File command to drill down through your file folders to locate a ZIP file to then open.
But HECK! that is too hard. Forget about that.
If you want to open a ZIP file, just use your Windows Explorer to find the ZIP file and then just double-click on it. You should know what to do once IZArc opens when you do that. If not, then you have really got a lot to learn, and I can't help you here.

Lastly, honest. If you want to compress a file, or files, or a folder of files, just again use your Windows Explorer to locate those file(s) and select them, try a right-click to see if there is some kind of compress, or make ZIP, command there.

If not, then you may be stuck with finally needing to open IZArc, using the commands there to locate the file(s) you want to create a ZIP of, and select them. Then just hit some create button once you give the ZIP file, that you are about to create, a name.

#4 ·
jillian2 said:
I just installed IZArc 3.4.1.6 and I don't know how to use it. I read the help section and still don't know how to use it.

When I open IZArc,at the top says File>View>Tools?Options>Help.
Under this it has New>Open>Favorites>Add>Extract>View>Checkout

Add>Extract>View>Checkout are all paled out. Why ? What good is "Extract" if it's all paled out and you can't use it? Am I not doing something right ? If someone can help me , I would appreciate it, but if I cannot resolve this, I will just have to uninstall it and find another zipfile tool to download

Thanks,
Jillian
If you just open IZArc then yes they will show up grayed out.
Most easy way to open a zip file is to right click on a zip file and you see IZArc

See image and you see it has in the list the same name as the zip file you just right clicked on. If you pick that it will then make a folder for you under that name and unzip all the files to get.

Attachments

#8 ·
I don't even have the icons for WinZip anywhere in my start menu! :) There's really never a reason for me to open it without point it at some file first.

#9 ·
I have it in the start but that is it. But I use the right click all the time and I have my pick of winzip, IZArc and the other one you see in the image above that is ungrouped is for 7-Zip.
But I like Winzip the best. Have use 7-Zip on some zip files that I could not open with the others and got them to open in 7-Zip so it's a keeper..

#10 ·
Thanks everyone for your answers. You have been a great help to me. So , all I really need is my windows built in zip file opener ? Then I really don't need a another . I will just uninstall it and save that space on my computer.

Thanks,
Jillian

#12 ·
Actually, I'm not that thrilled with XP's ZIP handling, though it's way better than nothing. The nice thing about IZArc is that it also handles RAR files, so you have both capabilities in one program.

#13 ·
Yea I got it for the RAR files.

Not and then I get a .sit and wish the zip programs I have too care of them. I installed StuffIt Expander to get some . sit files open the uninstalled it.

But here is one I never tried.
http://www.ultimatezip.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.