1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help - I keep having to Restore XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Pim, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pim

Pim Thread Starter

Hello all. What a great site this looks.

Apologies for hitting you with a question on my first post - I'm not usually that forward!:D

I have a problem with my laptop (details of which are at the foot of this post). Over the last couple of months I have been battling with the problem and it keeps re-occurring.

The symptom is that my system suddenly runs slow, like in treacle. If I try and reboot, the system takes an age to log off and then about 10 minutes to boot (usually about 45 secs when all ok). When it does boot, the intro music is broken up - the computer looks like it is really struggling and can struggle to open the start folder!

I have tried a lot of things to put this right, please see below, but the only guaranteed 'cure' is to carry out a System Restore to the last know good point - which is pretty tiresome as this happens once a week!:mad:

What I've tried:

1. Run Adaware SE
    2. Run Spybot S&D
    3. Full Virus Scan - AVG Personal
    4. Used MSCONFIG to deselect everything and see if that helps boot time - it didn't.
    5. Used Hijack this to identify what is running when it goes slow - nothing untoward, gave it a bit of a weed out but no progress.
    6. Full XP re-install. Gave me a weeks use before the symptoms crept back
    7. Used a HArdware testing tool to check out the HDD, CPU, RAM, GFX Card and M/Board - 6 hrs 100% testing full load revealed no faults.

7. Sang to it, threatened it with violence - not effect ;-)

My system is:

Acer Aspire Laptop 1691WLMi
    Pentium M 1.6MHz
    512MB DDR2 RAM
    80GB HDD - C & D partition
    64MB ATi X700 GFX Card

Win XP Home SP 2
    AVG Anti Virus
    Adaware SE Personal
    Spybot S&D
    Comodo Anti-Spam
    Windows Firewall

Any ideas/assistance would be gratefully received.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would tend to think you have some malware / spyware infection. I would post a hijack log in the security section of the forum and have someone take a look at it for you.

3. Pim

Pim Thread Starter

CRJ

Thanks for the reply. I will do that.

Is it possible for Malware to still be present after a re-install or is it more likely that I am getting re-infected? Does the XP restore effectivley reset the registry entries that the potential malware corrupted?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you do a system restore, the virus / malware is in the restore files as well. If you do a clean install ie format the drive and install the os, drivers, apps, etc, then no it cannot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/527889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice