1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help:I want to connect 15 computers to the file server

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by asmcarthur, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asmcarthur

asmcarthur Thread Starter

We have a computer running Win XP Pro and use this as a File Server.
    Does Windows XP limit the number of connected users that can access a shared directory.???

Someone told me 10 is this true?????? Yes

Yes, it's really true. XP-Home has a 5 connection limit, and XP-Pro and Win-2K has a 10 connection limit.

Is there away around this????? I want to coonect 15 to the file server.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Nope the only thing I can think of to get around it would be to real time sync 2 servers between each other and have 9 clients on one and 9 clients on the other... Either that or just buck up and get W2K3 SBS. At the cost of SBS vrs the cost for a second PC I'ld go with SBS.

3. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

The only problem with the SBS solution is that it only comes with 5 CALs. To connect 15 PCs he would have to buy 10 extra CALs, and each set of 5 costs as much as SBS itself, so that may not be a viable solution, especially gioven the reconfiguration needed on each PC to join the domain and rebuild everyone's user profile in their domain account.

It might be worthwhile looking at a tiered data structure, with either two or three PCs holding subsets of the data, and then replicating between themselves so that there is no single point of failure. There is no way to have a single PC acting as file server for 15 other PCs without installing it with a full blown Server OS.

One possible route if its just files that have to be shared, might be to get a NAS device, such as a SNAP server, but you would have to check how many concurrent connections you can have with them too prior to buying one.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I don't know where your buying your CAL's but mine aren't that expensive (I get the Retail box and 10 cals for about 800 (way less than a decient PC). I agree a NAS can be a way around it if they JUST want to do file sharing... but if they want to grow their network more the NAS may just be a stop gap and could actually turn into more work in the future if you decide to migrate back off it.

Bottom line is with your current setup there is no way "around" the 10 license issue.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I agree with Stumpy if they are an expanding business but if you need some quick and dirty NAS, Linksys and Dlink make some pretty cheap stuff that you can hook up USB enclosed hard drives to. You can hook up USB 2.0 hard drives to these.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124036
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127156

Buy one of the above for around $80. Buy a USB enclosure and Big Hard drive and away you go.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822173002

For $160 you got network storage.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Another option that is very cheap and you have someone who knows Linux is to install a Linux Server with Samba.

7. asmcarthur

Someone said changeto a Windows 98 file sever vs a Wndows XP file server as XP has a limit of 10 users vs Windows 98 has no limit.

Or does Win 98 have a limit as well????

8. natcom

natcom

9. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

I think you will find that 98 has the same limit of 10 concurrent connections. Its the same vintage as NT4 and Microsoft were hardly going to make 98 more effective as a network OS than their business OS.

BTW StumpedTechy - I'm going on UK software prices which are way higher than US prices for the same products due to what MS/Adobe/the rest of the rip off merchants call "localisation issues".

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Win98 does not have the 10 concurrent connection limit like NT based operating systems have.

Have reliably connected well over 20 computers at the same time. Not necessarily recommending it depending on costs or other solutions, but it does work. A lot depends on the particular usage and load it will have.

11. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

I'm still not sure about the 10 concurrent connections in 98. I remember us having huge problems trying to map multiple network drives to a 98 file server on a medium size LAN years ago. You can get loads of 98 PCs on a peer-to-peer network, but I'm not sure that they can all access the same resource (like a file server) at the same time without running into "concurrent" connections problems.

But the big downside of 98 is no file or share security due to FAT32, and no effective user accounts or permissions.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Didn't say there weren't downsides or other limitations. Like I said, a lot depends on the usage.

But did want to correct the statement regarding the number of concurrrent computer connections for Win9x. It is more than 10.

Since you're not sure, you might want to take the time to test it for yourself. Even Win95 would let you get over 10.

And again, not necessarily recommending it.

13. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Yeah 98 allows for more than 10 connections... I think because its not a true NOS and thus was not designed with limitations implemented (just my theory).

I think so far all the items have been put out have been good in respect to the information so as can be seen there are ALOT of options... just not many using your current connection type :)

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Well Win98 has a network operating system otherwise it couldn't network at all. But it is not a true server operating system.

So the solution can depend on a lot of things. Common questions I ask customers are:

How much money you want to spend.

What the actual needs are.

How much continuous load will be placed on the computer (for example will all 15 or so computers be constantly accessing the hard drive or just occassionally opening up things like Word files for editing).

What security concerns there are (for example, is it OK if all people on the network have access to all the shared files or not). Sometimes this is ok and sometimes it isn't.

Do you also want to connect printer(s) to the server and have them accessed by greater than 10 people as well.

15. asmcarthur

How much money you want to spend.

Answer...Not very much, this is a non profit organization...

How much continuous load will be placed on the computer (for example will all 15 or so computers be constantly accessing the hard drive or just occassionally opening up things like Word files for editing).

Answer.....occassionally open word for editing maybe 2 users at one time. They spend alot of time taking to their clients.

What security concerns there are (for example, is it OK if all people on the network have access to all the shared files or not). Sometimes this is ok and sometimes it isn't.

Answer.....not a concern here

Do you also want to connect printer(s) to the server and have them accessed by greater than 10 people as well.

Answer....One printer.....maybe someone printer once every 30 minutes..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/414618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice