Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[HELP] I want to defragment my hard drive. Diskeeper sucks!!

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Elvandil 
#1 ·
I'm just kidding, I know Diskeeper is the best :)

I've been using it for the past year and it's definitely the best defragmenter out there!

The only thing I hate about it is that it always has the service loaded in the memory at all times (even when i'm not using it) which uses pointless resources.

I also don't like the fact that it requires internet access to function properly either.

All I want is a nice program that I can use once in a while to defrag my hard drive without having to keep services loaded all the time.

If anyone here uses a good defragmenter, please let me know about it.

#2 ·
Not sure if I understand your concerns correctly, but if you don't want diskeeper running in services, you can always go into services, click on stop for diskeeper, change the setting from automatic to disabled. Whenever you want to defrag with it, you will have to reverse the process for diskeeper in services.

The other option is to change the setting for diskeeper in services from automatic to manual in which case diskeeper will only run when you activate it from the diskeeper desktop icon.

An alternative to diskeeper that is well regared is Perfect Disk 7.0.

http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/

#3 ·
In order for Diskeeper to defragment according to schedules, or to monitor your usage in order to defragment in the most efficient manner, you really need to have the service running.

If you choose not to gather the extra data in the options, your boot will be faster, but at the expense of the best defragmentation.

The service uses very little CPU time (You can show that column in Task Manager under the View menu), so it is not like a non-services-based OS like 98---no CPU is used unless performing a task, so your "resources" are unaffected unless you are low on memory.

I use O&O since I like it better than Diskeeper, but all the best defragmenters will have a service running to log usage and optimize file placement.

On the other hand, the difference between the optimized placement and the normal one is slight or unnoticeable. If you set the service to "manual", it will only start when you run Diskeeper. I have Diskeeper and O&O on this machine (in order to use differing defrag methods that Diskeeper doesn't have on some server drives) and keep both services set to manual. It's then very easy to just start whichever one is needed at the time.

#5 ·
Both O&O and Diskeeper need to have open ports and internet access in order to function. I used the O&O trial yesterday and I liked it but it crashed on me for some reason.

As a matter of fact, I am still using Diskeeper 8.0 and I never upgraded to the newer version because I heard its hard to configure it with your firewall. And 8.0 doesn't have the need for internet access. I really dont understand why a defragmenter needs internet access to function. I don't trust it and that's why I'm looking for a new one.

Would you guys recommend me to just stay with diskeeper 8.0 instead of looking for another defragmenter?

Btw, polak, I tried to downlaod the Perfect Disk trial but it wouldn't let me. Looks like a good program too.

#6 ·
I use Perfect Disk, I like it a lot. I strictly do manual de-frag runs, since I don't see that doing more than every couple weeks buys me anything.

#8 ·
polak, thanks. I was able to download the Perfect Disk trial.

So far I like it alot.

It doesn't need to go through my firewall and it only has the service running when I use it.

Lovely!

Only thing is that I see PDSched.exe loaded at all times which I don't like. Can anyone explain to me exactly what this process does? And what are the disadvantages of disabling it?

#9 ·
senshi,

I stand to be corrected but I believe the PDSched.exe running process allows you to set scheduled times for Perfect Disk 7.0 to run. Changing the setting to "Manual" after first stopping the process would prevent it from needlessly running if you do not intend to set PD to run at scheduled time(s)

#10 ·
^^Are you sure it is only for the scheduling and serves absolutely no other purpose?

Because if that's the case then why doesn't PD unload it automatically since I have never set any scheduling for it? It should only load if the user is using the scheduling option... otherwise there is no reason to have it loaded at all times right?

#12 ·
^^HAHA Ricky771 is me! :D

I posted that topic over at that forum today to get some more answers on this Perfect Disk program. :D

I can't believe you found it. LOL

Anyways... we're still not exactly sure what PDSched.exe really does. We're trying to figure out if it has any other purpose other than to schedule automatic defrags... :confused:

#13 ·
I had some initial problems installing Diskeeper 9.0 (the "internet" access is only to local ports, though Diskeeper can be run byu an administrator when on a network---no spyware). But got it finally.

As far as I can tell, there is little difference from 8 except a new option to resize the MFT. That can be done easily other ways (X-Setup, for an example).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.