1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help, IDE Not Detected?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by emmily, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmily

emmily Thread Starter

For some unknown reason to me, when the computer is turned on it is displays that IDE is not detectd and then goes to a black page with white writing, asking if i want to put the computer into safe mode, last configuration or start windows normally. I have tried putting starting with safe mode and normally, but after selcting these it starts to load, then reboots itself, and the computer will not start up at all. What is Wrong With it and How can i fix this?

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It could be a bad sector which houses a vital part of the Laster Boot Record or maybe the disk has become unmountable. Either way, an answer lies within your XP CD, assuming you have one.

Pop it in and if it doesn't run first time, restart and tap Delete to Function 2 on startup to access the BIOS menu, then seek out the Boot Order or Boot Sequence and change it to CD first. Save the changes and exit (usually Function 10) and you should see a message to "Hit and key to boot from CD". Do that and the file copy process runs through. Press Function 8 when prompted to accept the terms of the EULA. At the enxt stall of the screen, select R for Repair and you will be offered the choice of which system to repair. Usually it's Number 1 so type 1 and press Enter. When the Command Prompt appears, type chkdsk /r, hit Enter and wait while a five stage process runs.

Then at the next prompt, type fixmbr and hit Enter. Accept the warning and when that completes, type fixboot and hit Enter again. One more warning and you can type exit to leave the system and restart.

Hopefully, it will work - if not post back for details of curing the unmountable disk.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/968812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice