1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Identifying Hardware Failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Headsh0t, May 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Headsh0t

Headsh0t Thread Starter

Hi,

So today the screen of my laptop started glitching out. The colors will change and there's a lot of fuzz and distortions, and even though it displays a somewhat readable picture it does not respond to input. Picking it up and/or moving it seems to cause the issue, but it's also happened while sitting still. The last time this happened to a different computer of mine, a piece of the heatsink had fallen off and was making contact with the RAM. So I opened this one up to check it out and, while it was a little dusty, I couldn't find any obvious problems.

An important thing to note, and the reason I decided to ask for help here, is that a couple of times when the glitches and freezing occurred, the screen would go black and then come back up a few seconds later in a way similar to when explorer.exe crashes or resets (i.e. the taskbar and its icons reload).

Can anybody help me identify the source of this? I'm stumped.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    As a test go into the Bios and stay in there and see if the screen problem still exists

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice