Help I'm Living With A Bandwidth Hog....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Marello

I've just moved in with a girl who downloads soooooo much it's unbelievable. As shes using some sort of bitorrent client and we have a netgear router I'm encountering a problem I've had before, in which despite the download speed not being fast for her it's using all of our available bandwidth and causing even browsing for the rest of the house to be painfully painfully slow. In the past tweaking the other persons upload % has helped a lot.

I can't explain this to her as she doesn't understand, and I can't try and look at her settings as the writing is in Kanji. She also won't tell me the name of the program so I can't find out what ports it uses.

Is there any way I can monitor our network using my mac (os 10.4) and see what ports she's using. I've set up some port forwarding on the ports bitorrent use which has helped slightly. Is there anything I can do to stop her using the whole connection? It's really really annoying.

I'm not very good at networking so don't go too technical on me, answers are really appreciated!

just check the netgear log, it will tell what she is connecting to and such, or put a bandwidth restriction on her IP

Marello

I really appreciate the reply but like i said I don't know much about networking. Where do I find the netgear log and how do I put a restriction on her IP address? She already has a static IP address.

Marello

Guys I don't know what these things are, I'm really not very clued up on networking!!!! :) Is there any chance you could tell me how to do them? I've found a setting on my router where I can block specific ips connecting to specific ports but I'd rather limit her usage than block it. It's a shared house so unfortunately the internet is included and I don't think any of us want to pay any more than we already are!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You need to pick up a router that has QoS capability and limit the percentage of the bandwidth that her workstation can consume.

Or just confront her and tell her to stop participating in illeagal activies (im assuming)

Marello

OK guys following your posts I've now discovered that she's using a p2sp program called Xunlei. It's nasty stuff as if you block the ports it's using it switches to port 80.

I've found a QoS router for £30 (Billio BiPac 7300) will this do the job OK? I don't understand how these routers work, can I limit how much her entire IP address can ever use? Or will I only be able to limit ports on our network?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Looking at that router's manual, that should do the trick for you. :) It actually looks like is has a pretty complete QoS capabilty.

..... ..... ... or you could get a few of you buddies to dress up as M.I.B.'s - call to the house & tell her they're the Internet Cops + they are aware she's been up to some violations!!!

- Good Luck!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
We could also keep the jokes in the humor forum three doors down. :rolleyes:

Let's see if we can keep this on topic.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online