1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help, I'm lost!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by a2lemonde, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. a2lemonde

a2lemonde Thread Starter

Ok, to start off I'll list the computer configuration before going on with my what I've done:

Gateway system:

950mhz Athlon Processor
    Jabil Athlon motherboard - 950-MHz(Part number 2512597)
    384 MB RAM
    Philips 8X/4X/32X CD-R/RW Revision 3(Part number 5501823)
    SoundBlaster Live Sound Card
    16 MB TNT-2 nvidia vanta video card
    3Com 3c905C Network Card

Now to the nitty gritty:

My friend has this system and it came with Window ME. He was having problems, and I told him to get rid of ME and go with XP Home.

So he trys to upgrade his system with XP Home, but it doesn't work, and screws up his current O/S. Well in the mean time he got a 80GB Hard Drive for christmas. So I helped him out by FDISKing and FORMATing the 80 GB for him.

Now he trys to load XP on it, but his CD-Rom won't boot it. So I took his system home with me, and made some XP HOME boot disks. That didn't solve it. Then I swapped out his CD-Rom with another that would boot. (Yes I check the BIOS before), and it boots. But the disk loads for about 2 minutes and when it says "SETUP IS STARTING WINDOWS" it locks up and doesn't work any longer.

After trying a couple different CD-Roms, and going through the boot process, I decided to try installing a copy of Win XP Pro that I had lying around. After getting to "SETUP IS STARTING WINDOWS" it locks up again. :mad:

Now I'm desperate to get something on this drive. I luckly had a copy of Win98SE lying around also. This was an IMAGE that I saved to help with setting up computers from scratch when needed. So I make a couple boot disks for this and pushed it over the network. After I rebooted, and went through the "Windows has found new hardware wizards", I rebooted and crossed my fingers. Windows 98SE loads and takes me to the desktop, and LOCKS UP! :mad:

Now I'm lost!! His original Harddrive locks up once it gets into Windows also, but I wasn't sure if it has something to do with him trying to upgrade it or not??

Does anyone have any idea's?? I just update the BIOS before I posted this, and that didn't have any effect on the situation.

MY friend also does not know where his original RESCUE DISKS are for re-setting up his computer. :(

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I'd start by removing everything but the video card and hard disk, after copying the setup files to the hard disk, the complete I386 directory for W2K or XP will do, the WIN98 directory for W98. Since you have at least two sticks of memory in that machine, I'd either verify them in another machine, or remove one and attempt the setup. If it still fails, I'd try the other one. Finally, before starting the install, I'd reset the BIOS to factory defaults, just to eliminate any issues there. If you get the bare bones system installed, you can add the NIC and sound card.

3. a2lemonde

a2lemonde Thread Starter

Ok, I tried this with WinXP. Copied the files down to the drive, and disconnected everything but the essentials. I ran the WINNT from the I386 directory and it starts to copy some files. After a few minutes, it reboots. After rebooting, it starts all over again, and loops. :confused:

Now I'll try it with WIN98 and see if I have any luck there.

4. JohnWill

It seems pretty clear that you have hardware issues with that system, I'd start with the memory. Did you remove the sticks one-at-a-time like I suggested and try the install?

5. a2lemonde

a2lemonde Thread Starter

Yes, that didn't work either. I also just tried a different brand of memory, with the same results. This is very frustrating. :mad: I e-mailed AMD asking the question, hopefully they will have a clue.

6. JohnWill

Well, you're getting down to power supply, motherboard, and processor it would seem. This is where I reach into my well stocked closet and start substituting parts. :)

7. a2lemonde

a2lemonde Thread Starter

Finally after hours of talking with Gateway, and doing everything I could possibly think of, I got an answer!! It's a BAD motherboard..

Some of the capacitors on the Motherboard were bloaded and were causing a power spike. They are sending me a new motherboard.

I never had a problem like that before, but from now on I'll keep an eye open. :D Thanks for your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice