1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help in cloning my hard drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by terguth, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. terguth

terguth Thread Starter

WinXP Home
    I have a new USB External hard drive that I am trying to clone from my original internal drive. I intend then to exchange the two drives to make the new one the boot drive. I don't have room to make them both internal. I am using TransXP from ITS Systems for the transfer. I have been successful in this process (computer will run from either hard drive when it is installed internal). My problem is when I partition the new drive to 60GB and format it before the transfer, after the transfer the partition has changed to 10GB, which is the size of the old drive. My reason for getting the new drive is to increase the size, so I am getting nowhere. Am I messing up (probably) or is just the nature of the beast? By the way, I certainly admire and envy all of you geniuses out there who help the rest of us not so smarts

2. storage_man

storage_man

It sure looks like its your software that is the problem. I took a look at ITSystems web site and it looks like it does a bit by bit copy. Which means if you had a 10gb partition, you new partition will be 10gb. You may want to invest in Symantec's "GHOST" product. It allows you to make image copies or clone copies, but either way will honor the target partition size.

Storag_man

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not familiar with this particular cloner, but most allow you to move an installation into a larger partition.

Was the target drive partitioned ahead of time and/or formatted? Not sure this is necessary or will help, but if the partition exists already....

The alternative, of course, is just to enlarge the partition after you get it in the machine. Partition Magic does this easily, but the free Ranish works well, too.
    http://www.ranish.com/part/

Some others:
    http://www.partition-manager.com/
    http://www.1000files.com/Utilities/File_and_Disk_Management/Acronis_Partition_Expert_509_Review.html
    http://www.popularshareware.com/7tools-Partition-Manager-screenshot-5641.html

4. terguth

terguth Thread Starter

Thank you both for a faster than timely reply.
    I knew that TransXP was bit for bit, but I didn't know that would change the partition. Since I invested $30 in this software, I am reluctant to buy anymore.
    Elvandil,
    Yes, the target drive was partitioned and formatted before transfer, using WinXP. Thank you very much for the advice and links. I will certainly try them all. I am an old retired guy, and spend lots of time groping around with such tasks. Though I have read advice on techguy many times, this is he first time I have asked a question. If the results are positive tomorrow, a donation to techguy will be on its way.
    Thanks again :)

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, you may want to keep at least part of your money! It looks like Ranish doesn't support NTFS.

You might check out some of those links (and others in a search for "Partition Manager") to see if trial version will let you resize at least one partition.

What would happen if the target drive were not formatted and/or partitioned? Would it ask you for a size? It just seems like that software should be able to handle this somehow---most people get bigger drives and want to use the additional space.

6. DVOM

DVOM

terguth, the cheapest way to buy Norton Ghost is bundled with Norton Systemworks Pro 2003. Ghost will install separately.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/softwareandbeyond/nosy20pro.html

and one with free shipping:

http://www.computersworth.com/item.cfm?SKU=NSW2003PRO

Ghost will do a lot more than just clone your drive. It'll also create an "image" fo your OS partition for later restore when something goes wrong.

Personally I'd use about a 10-12G partition for your OS and programs. Then create another partition to store all your data. You can also store your OS partition ghost images on the data partition.

7. terguth

terguth Thread Starter

DVOM, thank you for your comments. I went to the second link and found Norton Systemworks offered for $10. Can that be real, or is it pirated? Seems that anything that much below the going price is suspect. Your suggestions involving multiple partitions seems to make sense, but is probably above my level of expertise.

8. terguth

terguth Thread Starter

9. DVOM

DVOM

terguth, I don't know if it's pirated or not. But that's the way I've been getting Ghost and Norton AntiVirus for the last 4 years.

Creating a second partition isn't difficult at all if you're running XP. It can be done from within windows.

Right click "My Computer>manage>storage>Disk Management(Local)". In there you'll be able to see the unpartitioned space and create and format another partition.

One of the main advantages of a separate partition for your data is if you've got to reinstall or restore your OS, your data is safe.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What external drive do you have? If its an enclosurer containing a normal IDE drive, which it must if you plan on using it as you main drive, then you can remove the drive, attach it on the Secondary IDE channel in place of your CD-ROM drive and use a hard drive copy utility to clone the drive quicly and easily. For example if one of the drives is a Maxtor hard drive, go to Maxtor's website and download the MaxBlast 3 utility, this utility is usually free. Just like with Ghost, no partitioning is required for a basic transfer.

Never heard of TransXP but there must be a way to have it expand the partition size for a clone.

11. terguth

terguth Thread Starter

Triple6
    Thanks for your response. I have clicked every tab and tried every option with TransXp and it only will copy bit for bit one drive to another.
    I don't want to replace my CD ROM right now but as a matter of information for future reference, will the second hard drive work if hooked up to the ribbon cable that is now hooked to the CD ROM?
    I do have MaxBlast3 for windows, but it will not do a copy to an external disk.

12. terguth

terguth Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you kind souls that have replied to my question. Each and every one has been helpful, and certainly added to my knowledge base. I have today ordered Norton Systemworks Pro 2003 including Norton Ghost, as suggested by DVOM, for the ridiculous price of $10 and no shipping charge. When I get it in a week or so I will stumble around and try to get the drives set up like I want them. It will take me much longer than it would any of you folks, but I am retired and such chores keep me off the streets and out of the pool hall. I especially have the time now that tax season is over. I am a volunteer tax return preparer for the AARP.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Attaching the new drive to the Secondary IDE controller would only be temporary for cloning the original drive, then you could use the hard drive manufacturer's utility (MaxBlast 3) to clone the drive - the advantage there is that its quick and free. I see no reason to be doing this with an external drive.

On the other hand, Ghost is a great program that I use all the time for cloning drives and creating images.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

You are making a good choice. Norton SystemWorks has a lot of useful utilities, probably all you need except anti-spyware to keep your computer maintained. The 2003 version is, of course, terribly obsolete now that 2004 is out. That is why they are practically giving it away. But I see miniscule differences between the 2 versions myself.

There are certainly a number of ways you could accomplish your task, but having Ghost to image your entire hard drive from time to time obviates the need to reinstall everything and cry if the worst comes to pass.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/225311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice