1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help in installing Windows 98 SE onto a real PC (HP DC7900)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Jackmtech, Jun 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jackmtech

Jackmtech Thread Starter

Hello people! This is my first post, so if there are any issues, please point them out. Anyway, for a few days I have been trying to install Windows 98 SE onto USB memory stick. The PC has no hard drive, and I have no intent to get a new one since the old one died. When I try installing off of a W98 disc, it copies the files successfully, but in the finishing setup phase, firstly, when detecting drivers it shows and error message:"Error: The system registry cannot be accessed." So I think nothing of it. Then after that, during saving changes, it shows more than 10 error messages about .DLLs, .OCXs, and other stuff failing to call the registerDLLserver or something like that. After restarting it shows the loading screen and then blurts out at least 5 errors about vmm32.vxd missing, some other .vxd missing. Can anybody help? The system's specs are Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.86GHz, 1GB of DDR2 RAM, Intel Q45 chipset, GMA graphics (forgot which model) and also the USB memory stick is formatted as USB-HDD and the BIOS in the PC does detected the USB Memory stick.

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

I have my doubts Win 98 will install on that hardware. Instead of going through all this nausea, you may be better off creating a virtual machine and installing the OS on that. However, that would require a host machine with better hardware than the PC you mentioned. Would this be something you'd be interested in considering, if you have a better machine to utilise?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Windows will not boot from a usb type drive. This is because of how the usb ports are handled by windows. You could install/boot linux from a usb external type drive however not windows.

Spin type hard drives are cheap. If you want to use this machine, purchase one. If you do not want to use the machine, then do not.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't say if you have a HP Compaq dc7900 Small Form Factor PC
    or a HP Compaq dc7900 Convertible Minitower PC
    Both provide devices drivers for Windows XP and Vista and 7, but not for Windows 98 and ME.

I haven't used Windows 98 since late 2001, so I haven't attempted to install it in a PC that has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 1 GB or more of RAM.
    I remember it had "iffy" support for USB devices - which become more reliable with the release of Windows ME.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. Jackmtech

Jackmtech Thread Starter

It's a DC7900 SFF

6. Jackmtech

Jackmtech Thread Starter

I do have better machines that I have installed w98 (through a virual machine on) but I am trying to at least get it working in safe mode.
    I actually tried XP and it did boot off of the same machine and USB, but it was slow as hell

7. Jackmtech

Jackmtech Thread Starter

And about virual machines, I had a freshly installed copy of W98 on VMware, then I unzipped the VM's harddrive, copied all of the files, and it did boot in safe mode.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Capture.JPG

1 GB of DDR2 RAM

---------------------------------------------------------------

That's the primary reason why Windows XP runs like a turtle in that HP Compaq dc7900.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. Jackmtech

Jackmtech Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice