1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help in purchasing hard drives vs. SSDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Evan55, Sep 15, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Evan55

Evan55 Thread Starter

I am in the process of buying 2 new customizable units. I am not a Geek so please explain. Both the wife and I have 500GB HD's, She has used around 6GB on hers and I have used around 210GB on mine. I could just go with a TB HD, but I would like to know if an 250GB M.2 would be sufficient for the main drive and 1TB SSD for a Data drive? Or could I go with a 250GB SSD for a main drive ?And what is the difference between a M.2 and a SSD. We both have extensive photo, music and document files. We do not stream games and when we install a game to play we uninstall again when done. I have looked on line but I feel like I am chasing my tail.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, a 250gig M.2 with a 1TB drive should be fine. M.2 is an interface ie how the drive connects. There are different types; a sata type and nvme type. The sata type is not really any faster than a regular ssd however the nvme type drives are extremely fast. I use a samsung 960 in this system and it boots win10 in 5 seconds after POST.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. If you purchase a M.2 type drive, when you install windows, have JUST the M.2 drive installed. Windows setup will always place the boot files on the drive connected to the sata port. With just the M.2 drive installed, setup has no choice and puts all of the windows files on that drive. Once done with the install, you can shutdown and connect your mech hard drive.

4. Evan55

Evan55 Thread Starter

Thank You very much!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice