1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help in replacing Windows 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by 2bz4fun, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2bz4fun

2bz4fun Thread Starter

My friend has an old computer with Windows 98 on it. I have a newer computer that I have replaced Windows 2000 with Windows XP. I would like to give install my original Windows 2000 on their computer. I don't know if we can simply use my original Win 2K disk and if it will overwrite their Windows 98. How can I do this?

We all live in Mexico in a small village, so we can't simply run down to a knowledgeable computer and have someone "technical" do it for us. Thanks for your help.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi it can be done..but it's illegal.
    Your Windows 2000 installation should only be run on your system.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Guess I'm not enough of a lawyer and don't know what type of Windows2000 you have. For example, is it a OEM version of just a plain old version of Windows2000.

But from a technical standpoint, as long as you have all the necessary drivers, yes you can format and then install Windows2000 on the other computer.

4. Rockguy

Rockguy

As far as legality goes he did purchase XP for his other computer so his copy of 2000 would still be on only one computer. I doubt Microsoft really cares about such an old operating system anyway.

You could try installing it over the top of windows 98 and see how it performs. If you have problems then, you might want to format the hard drive and install it again. Good luck and go for it.

5. 2bz4fun

2bz4fun Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your quick answers. As I'm wanting to give my friend Win 2K for his computer (it will only be installed on ONE computer) to replace his very old Win 98 OS, I just didn't know if I could install it OVER the Win 98 without doing any damage or if his hard disk has to be reformatted.

I don't even know if it would be better to install the Win 2K or simply leave his Win 98 on the computer. I guess my old Win 2K is an OEM disk as it came installed (with the CD in the box) on my Dell Dimension computer. My friend's computer I believe is an old Compaq.

I think we will try to install it. Thanks again for your help. Your forum is really great and all the contributors are so helpful.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Now that we know it is an OEM CD, it may not install on a computer other than a Dell. It is not uncommon for their software to check to see if it is being installed on one of their computers or not.

On the other hand, if it is a very old computer, you may not gain much by having Windows2000 on it.

7. 2bz4fun

2bz4fun Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestion about maybe we should just continue to use Win 98, because it is an old computer. I think he only wants it to check email and at the present time can't afford a new computer. So, I don't think we'll try the Dell CD for Win 2K.

Case closed. Thanks so much for your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice