1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help in simplifying Window XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by XIL, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XIL

XIL Thread Starter

I use my laptop only and ALWAYS for writing and reading documents using OpenOffice and Adobe Reader as well as picture softwares, and use my USB drivers to transfer files.

To make my laptop faster and more security, I am trying get rid of ALL UNUSED and UNESSACARY SOFTWARES installed and run in this computer in which Window XP operating system is originally installed in the inside hard drive named Presario_RP D:.

This is a list of processing softwares shown in Windows Task Manager as it is idle.

taskmagr.exe
    explore.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    lsass.exe
    services.exe
    winlogon.exe
    smss.exe
    System
    System Idle Process

I don't know much about computer software. How to get this done?

I am greatly grateful to any help you may offer here.

Thanks!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

The items shown on your Task Manager matches what I have on a clean Windows XP Home SP3. You don't seem to have an antivirus running though. And I have alg.exe running, which seems to be firewall related but you don't have that, is your firewall turned off ?

I don't think you can turn off anything more. That's as minimal as you can get.

Turning off / uninstalling unused software is a great way to enhance security. You may want to read my blog below.

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Try downloading and running Securnia. This program scans for outdated software and other security risks (up to date software is much more secure than outdated software as most known vulnerabilities are patched.) For example you can't afford to remove Adobe reader, but it is important that you have the most up to date version (version X)

As Lunarlander points out we can't tell what's installed simply from what's running at the moment, and those are just the bare bones of XP. If you wanted a bit more detail we'd need different logs, but securnia is a good first stop.

Other tips for securing your system:
    Remember that the majority of malware relies upon the user to help it infect a system, and this makes humans the first hole to block up. Of course a blank ban on using a computer makes it as useless as if it had a hundred infections, but there are ways to reduce your chance of starting anything malicious.

* Do not download or run anything from the internet unless from a reputable company such as Microsoft.
    * Avoid opening email attachments unless you both know and trust the sender and were expecting the file. A number of viruses email themselves to other people while masquerading as the owner of the computer that's been infected.
    * Scan any downloads.
    * Get into the habit of using a standard user account. These have limited privileges regarding the changes to the system a virus would need to effect but still permit the vast majority of uses for a computer (internet browsing, editing documents, playing games, etc)
    * Get into the habit of reading notifications and popups; don't just click Yes or accept.
    * Make sure that other users of the computer do the same.

While not a substitute for good practice, there are technical measures that should be used in complement to them.

* Keep Windows Up to date, preferably using Automatic Updates, to patch holes in your OS as they are discovered.
    * Keep programs up to date, particularly but not exclusively Java, Flash and your Internet Browser.
    * Install and maintain an antivirus/security suite-to block malicious programs and scan suspicious ones.
    * Run behind a firewall to prevent hackers from gaining remote control over your computer.
    * I also like a certain registry edit that completely prevents your computer from automatically running anything on CDs or flash disks (as they often autorun malware). This does mean that you have to manually run the installers for any programs you install from a CD.

Recommended Programs, all of which are legally free to use: One Antivirus from Microsoft Security Essentials, Avira Antivir, or Avast
    One Firewall from COMODO Firewall or Zone Alarm
    At least one antimalware or Antispyware program such as Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware
    An Alternative Web Browser such as Firefox, Opera, or Google Chrome.

4. XIL

XIL Thread Starter

Thank you for looking at my software list. The firewall is not on. In trying to turn it on, an error message tells ICS can not be started. A lot information jumps in, and I still doubt about which one could satisfy my need.

5. XIL

XIL Thread Starter

Thanks very much. My computer habit surely has been improved after reading your message that is very instructive for me.

6. XIL

XIL Thread Starter

Hi, I post my question ago. Two messages were very detailed and instructive, but I have not solve my problem. Is there anyone that can tell me how to simplify my Window XP software so that I can only use my last century's laptop to write and read. The Window XP Home software came with my laptop in CDs.Thank you for any suggestions directed to my question.

7. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi,

XIL Our site does NOT allow mulitple threads for the same basic question....please stick with this one thread, for your question. You can keep it appearing on the beginning of the forum list by occaisionally posting a Reply........ I have MERGED your two threads about simplifying XP.

You want to reduce Windows to as basic as possible- this is not a great idea but there surely should be something we can help with.....

Startup items > there is help available to trim the unneeded items from starting up with Windows / the computer.

This often helps with an older computer.

There may be some programs we can help you UNinstall......

But, the basic items you see running in the Task Manager mostly are parts of WINDOWS...so you need to be very careful! Some are services.....and removing some of those can cripple your computer.

Please download this and run it according to the directions, and post the results:

List Installed Programs You have to scroll down the page to that file

The file you download is a very small .vbs script....it might produce an alert from your security software however the file is OK, and not malware.

The file is also in compressed, or .zip form, so you will have to right click it, and select "Extract All" > let the files extract to the default folder, which will be named the same as the downloaded file.

Or, you can use your favorite uncompressing tool if you have one.

I will ask another member here who is expert in trimming startup items to stop in and help you but we need you to post the list of installed software that the file posted above will show you.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    XIL:

Let's see what's auto-starting and running in the background and if any obvious issues need to be addressed.

Let's see what's currently installed that may need to be uninstalled, updated, or replaced.

Follow the below instructions in the order listed.

-------------------------------------------------------

Go here and click the green "Download latest version" link to download and save HiJackThis 2.0.4.

After it's been downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to install it.

Allow it to install in its default location - C:\Program Files.

After it's been installed, start it and then click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished in less than 30 seconds, a log file will appear.

Save that log file.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire log file here.

Start HiJackThis, but don't run a scan.

Click on the "Open The Misc Tools Section" button.

Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button.

Click on the "Save List" button.

Save the "uninstall_list.txt" file somewhere.

It'll then open in Notepad.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire file here.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice