Help / inf folders

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

santoki

Hi there I am currently using windows xp home edition sp2

A year ago, or so, I've been told to take out my "inf" files and my "help" files in order to speed up my computer. However, I am now using a program that requires an inf file. So I retrieved the cd that had all the files stored, but I am completely dumbfounded as to where the folders belong...

If someone could help me out where the INF and HELP folders belong that would be of great help :D
thanks

Never heard of that as a solution to speeding up a computer.

The most common location is in the C:\WINDOWS\inf directory. But then it would depend on where you deleted them.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Bob is correct. Deleting those files will not speed up your computer.

What will speed up your computer is:

1. Adding more RAM if 256 MB or less is installed.

2. Cleaning out the buildup of temp/junk files and the buildup of spyware.

3. Reducing the number of programs that automatically run in the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab list and in the SERVICES list.

4. Reducing the amount of graphic eye candy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

santoki

I'm speechless. :p Thanks guys! That's odd because I read that the inf files could drag the computer speed as well as fonts, and the fact it was posted on digg... oh well. Proves that not everything is true on the internet.

Any idea where the help files can be?

santoki

Sorry for the double post... Howerver, I find my computer now functioning superbly!
There were several USB devices that never worked with my computer, but now they all work like magic!

Sorry for the "dumb" question, but what exactly does/are the INF files?

They typically have the information applications or drivers need to install.

Also, too many fonts can slowdown at least the load time of Windows.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online