1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Input resolution Problem!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by cprobus0004, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cprobus0004

cprobus0004 Thread Starter

I just bought a Sanyo HD flat screen. I have a HP Compaq Presario CQ57 laptop. I have no cable service, and am trying to connect laptop to computer using VGA cable. I run on Windows 7 home premium. I made connection between both but tv says to change PC input signal resolution. I called Sanyo and they said that resolution has to be 600x800. The lowest resolution available on my laptop is 800x600. How would I change this? I called HP Compaq but since my warranty expired, they refuse to even answer my 1 question without purchasing a $100 new warranty! I spent 12 hrs on this problem yesterday. I have an old tower that shows registry error, but made connection to flat screen with no problem at all, and I dont think resolution is set that low on that tower, so I dont understand. After buying tv, I have no money left to purchase a tower, and am afraid Id run into same problem anyway. I have an Intel graphics card if that helps. How can I get a 600x800 resolution if its not an option under resolution? Please help!!!!!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the resolution of the tower you have , that works
    usually a screen is wider then its higher so
    600 is the height and 800 is the width

3. cprobus0004

The laptop offers resolution from 1366-768 I think down to 800x600. What I need is 600x800.
    Sanyo referred me to Microsoft, who also refused to help without purchasing plan.The tower that has registry error automatically connects and shows screen, but since all it shows is registry screen, I can not check resolution on it.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    What is the model number of the TV?

Is the laptop a CQ57-310US or some other version of the CQ57?

What do you mean by "trying to connect laptop to computer"? I thought you were trying to connect the laptop to a TV.

5. cprobus0004

Thanks for answering Chuck. All I can find under computer properties is just HP Compaq presario cq57. Sorry I cant find more. TV model no. is DP42840. I did mean laptop to tv. Ive been at this since yesterday morning non stop except sleep. and Im very tired. Sanyo, Microsoft, and especially HP customer service will offer no help at all without warranty. I know, Ive talked to Sanyo 3 times, Windows twice, and HP 5 times.It makes connection, but just with black screen and white writing at bottom that says Out Of Range Please Change PC input signal resolution. Sanyo did say 640x480 and 720x403 would also work as resolution. I somehow found manual way to put this in, but it shrank my laptop screen, and tv still showed same message. I almost couldnt set it back because I couldnt hit ok button because it was out of reach on screen. Had to system restore. Oh, this is so crazy.

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Take a look at the bottom of the laptop. It should have a manufacturer's label, with the full part number.

EDIT:

I think I found a scanned copy of the TV user manual and it shows the PC input supports more than 800x600 resolution. See if the laptop supports a 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz, 1366x768 @ 60Hz or 1360x768 @ 60 Hz video resolution on the VGA connector. 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz would be the best choice, if available. Also see if the laptop's video controller supports extending the desktop to the external monitor, rather than mirroring it.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  7. cprobus0004

Have to take a break from tv for a while because I cant think anymore. I will very gladly try this as soon as I come back. I restored computer earlier and when it came back on it was set on resolution Sanyo gave me over phone, and still nothing.Gonna try settings on tv when I get back and what you have suggested. Thank you for taking time to read manual. I will let you know how it goes after I try it!

8. cprobus0004

Very fortunately, a computer tower popped up on a local selling site on FB for $25. I was able to get it, and it immediately showed picture on flat screen!!! The tower is older of course, but it runs everything I need it to. I have found one problem, and Id appreciate advice if you would. It is a minor problem. My VGA cord has 15 pin plug and audio cord on each end. On my tower it does not have black, round audio hookup immediately beside it, and round blue, green, and red jacks do not produce sound either. I have sound through tower but how would I get it through the tv? Appreciate any advice.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the green is usually the audio out
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_card
    and so that plugs into the PC and also should be an audio in next to the the PC input VGA on the TV

to test the PC sound - connect a pair of powered speakers to the green socket or headphones

10. cprobus0004

Thank you. Very helpful advice!

11. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Sanyo support simply gave you the resolution numbers backwards. Their "600x800" and the 800x600 option in your video settings are the same. Unless you have some new TV model that is taller than it is wide.

12. cprobus0004

Thank you. Although tv listed resolution as problem, it really had absolutely NOTHING to do with problem!!!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice