1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

*Help installing FireGL video card*

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DZ007, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DZ007

DZ007 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a GE PRO-HT motherboard made by ASrock, and just installed the latest BIOS (V2.2) on it today. I've been using my integrated video accelerator up til today. I just purchased a ATI FireGL 8700 video card and was trying to use it with my computer. I switched the video setting from on-board VGA to plug-in AGP in the BIOS and restarted the computer. When I entered windows, the computer didn't recongnize the video card, and it can only run at 640x480 with 16 colors. I downloaded the latest drivers from the ATI website and even they didn't recognize the video card. Please help me! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my comp's specifications just in case:
    GE PRO-HT motherboard
    Intel P4 2.4GHZ
    512MB DDR333 ram
    80GB HD
    Windows 2000 Professional

I now have:
    SiS integrated 650/651 accelerated graphics
    I want to install:
    ATI FireGL 8700

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well, if the monitor is connected to the new card and you see something on the screen then the video card must be recongised - it just doesn't have the right drivers installed. have you uninstalled the old video card drivers? Go to ADD/REMOVE Programs and see if there is an uninstaller for the old Video Drivers. if not go into Safe Mode and Device Manager and remove the driver there(you may need to select Show Hidden devices for the drop down menu).

Is this the driver you downloaded? http://www.ati.com/support/products...gl&prod=firegl2Kdriver&submit.x=10&submit.y=7

3. DZ007

DZ007 Thread Starter

I have to remove the drivers for the integrated VGA? ok, I'll go do that now, and yes, those are the drivers I downloaded. Thanks for helping!

Dan

4. DZ007

DZ007 Thread Starter

hmmmm, I just uninstalled the drivers and switched the video to add-on AGP in the BIOS. but my computer is still not detecting it, it just shows up as AGP and all the adapter information is unavailable. What should I do now?

Thx

5. DZ007

DZ007 Thread Starter

Well, it's still not detecting, anyone else have any ideas? maybe some BIOS tricks or something to change in windows? please help!

6. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

hmm. can you use it at all? even without aceleration? Does it work on any other computers?

What are you gonna be using this card for, because depending on the app i can think of some better ones for the price

7. DZ007

DZ007 Thread Starter

It can run at 800x600 with 16 colors, but any video card can do that. I tried it on my friend's computer (which worked perfectly with his RADEON 7500) and it didn't detect it either. so I thought that maybe it's broken. but why would the fan spin and why can it run on the lowest setting if it's broken? why can't I use it's full capabilities?

Whiteskin: I wanted to play some of the new games out with it, and the great price is the reason I got it in the first place.

Please help me!

Thanks Everyone!

8. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Ok, so first off, is this xp or what?

Use this link to try downloading the right driver.

http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

If that doesnt work, might i suggest that...

A) What you bought wasent really a fire GL (though i doubt this)
    B) Its Broken (if you bought it second hand thats probably why it was sold, considering that the FireGL is ATI's workstation card (which are usually quite expensive)
    C)What are your system specs, and when did you buy it. some older operating sytems dont do OpenGL very well
    D) Invest in a new one. A good graphics card will last for a long time if done right. just keep on moving them back into older systems as time goes on.

If you are aimed at gaming i'm sure that the nice people on the gaming forum can tell you which graphics card has the most bang for the buck.

Sorry, but without any more info we really cant help you yet.

9. DZ007

DZ007 Thread Starter

Ummmmm, this is a brand new computer which I bought last month...

GE PRO-HT motherboard
    Intel P4 2.4GHZ
    512MB DDR333 ram
    80GB HD
    Windows 2000 Professional

I now have:
    SiS integrated 650/651 accelerated graphics
    I want to install:
    ATI FireGL 8700

I am sure that card is genuine, since about 10 other people also bought the exact same card from this guy and from their feedbacks they were very satisfied. This seller even offered to replace or refund if I can't get it to work, so I think this isn't a fraud.

I thought that this was better than most of the RADEON cards out. it's for workstations so it should be much better right?

10. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

In some apps, For gaming, depending on the game engine, most cards are optomized for games. Nowadays the workstation cards are for just that... workstations. They have awesome rendering capibilities, that most games cant even touch cause they dont know how. Now i'm not saying it wont be a good card for gaming. It's just that it wasnt originally intended for that..

now i digress.

i think its either drivers, or problems with your agp port.

11. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Pehaps this guy would be willing to assist in tech support?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice