Help Installing Memory

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Steve Farr

Assistance please, Techies!!
I just bought 2 128mb PC-100 Samsung chips for my Gateway Performance 700, and thought instructions came with to install...WRONG! Can anyone assist, either here or e-mailing me instructions?
Thanks so much, Steve

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Have you tried simply installing the memory into the two empty slots?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yep, it's that simple. If you look at the modules, you'll notice that there is an off-center key slot in the module. When you look at the socket on the MB, you'll see the matching key to prevent you from installing it backwards.

Make sure you first touch the machine case to discharge any static, then take out one of the modules. Open the two latches, align the module, and press it in. It should go in far enough to swing the latches back over the module. Repeat with the other module. Put the case back on.

The most common problem is knocking a cable off while you're installing the memory, so you need to check when you're done that all the cables and cards are firmly seated. The next most common issue is trying to install the memory backwards, but that won't happen if you make sure the keys are aligned.

Steve Farr

Thanks John, I'm ready to do "trial by fire"! If not successful, I'll be back here! I have a good friend in Lykens, PA, is that near you?
Steve in CA

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Steve Farr said:
Thanks John, I'm ready to do "trial by fire"! If not successful, I'll be back here! I have a good friend in Lykens, PA, is that near you?
Steve in CA
Lykens is over by Harrisburg, probably 80-90 miles from here. I live about 25 miles north of Phila.

In case no mentions it; turn off the PC before doing anything inside a PC!

Stoner

Banned
Also a good idea to unplug the computer as some parts of the motherboard stay 'hot' on an ATX mb while pluged in :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online