Help installing new OS..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kkat28

I have a Compaq Persario that originally has Win 98. We had some complications with it and thought we needed to do a complete restore. (Used the kit cd's that came with it). We thought everything was ok. It said it installed successfully and it seemed to be ok. Well everything I try to do from creating a network connection to opening paint, it says i'm missing important files (some dll) and wants the cd to get these files. I put the disk into the cd rom and click search "c" (thats my cdrom drive letter) and comes up with nothing. No files found. Well I tried to contact Compaq. They told me on 3 separate phone calls that they no longer sell the complete restore for Win 98 :( So now I would just like to install a new OS and be done with it. My problem is that with all the missing files could there be a problem installing? Should I go with an upgrade WindowsXP or the complete install program? There is a pretty significant price difference and I'm not sure what to do here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oh yes btw.. There have not been any upgrades. Everything is original (hard drive , cd rom ..etc) Thanks

The tricky part to installing the OS is having the right drivers handy, which sounds like what it's asking you for. A newer OS version is likely to have all the right drivers for your devices, but if it doesn't you must hunt for them yourself (I read the part numbers of the hardware itself, then download the drivers from the vendor). Also, windows update has drivers, but not very many. Upgrading from win98 to NT/2000/XP is no fun, nothing seems to work right when it's done, I would just do a clean install, then reinstall all the other programs.

I put the disk into the cd rom and click search "c" (thats my cdrom drive letter)
what drive letter has your hard drive, with your system files??:confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online