1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help installing printer w/ wireless print server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by aggie mom 2 4, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aggie mom 2 4

aggie mom 2 4 Thread Starter

Hi all,

Please pardon if this has already been addressed... I tried to find threads that answered my question, but was not too successful.

I am trying to set up my husband's office so his laptop can print wirelessly to his printer via a print server. Right now, each time he wants to print he attaches the printer via the usb cable. This works ok, but is kind of a pain since the cable has to run across the room. Also, each time he unplugs and plugs, his laptop reinstalls the printer giving him countless copies of the same printer in the printer folder. (Another issue I've never bothered to fix.)

So, I've got the print server (which also happens to be a router) hooked up to the printer, and the laptop (with built-in wireless) detected the router/server and connected to it like a network without any problems. I thought all I'd have to do was go to add printer, detect it through the server, and install it. But though the computer is connected (wirelessely) to the server, it doesn't see the printer.

Was I totally crazy when I thought the print server would allow printing without the printer being connected to a PC? Can you actually just plug a printer into a wireless server and then print from your computer? Or perhaps because this is also a router, it must be attached to a computer?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. If you can explain how to do it, I'm sure I'd be able to do it.

the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite running Windows XP; the router/ server is a US Robotics MAXG model USR5461.

Thanks!

2. dungeonguard

dungeonguard

What type of printer are you using? Could you give the brand and model number please?

3. aggie mom 2 4

It is a Lexmark. I believe it is a Z50-something (I think z53), although I'm not certain. I can't check at the moment as it's at his office and I'm not.

4. dungeonguard

dungeonguard

Here is a link to the printer name that you provided:

http://www.amazon.com/Lexmark-Z53-C...5/ref=sr_1_3/104-1332917-2047931?ie=UTF8&s=pc

Can you verify that this is the correct model please?

Does the printer connect via ethernet cable or USB or parallel?

What type of wireless print server did you purchase, can you provide a link or model number, if not a picture?

All of these questions will help diagnose the problem. Answers are appreciated as always. You can also e-mail me at [email protected] with any questions or answers.

Thanks,
    Simon :)

5. dungeonguard

dungeonguard

Alright, here is an update:

I searched the server on Amazon (I found the model number after I posted).

Now, what you need to do is to connect it to a wired desktop or notebook. Run the installation CD that was included, then re-do the add printer wizard.

See if that does anything and report back here or just e-mail me.

Thanks,
    Simon :)

6. aggie mom 2 4

ok, the router/server is a US Robotics MAXG USR5461; the printer is a Lemark Z25 (sorry, reversed the numbers on the other post.) it connects via USB

my goal was for him to be able to send the print command wirelessly from his laptop directly to the print server (with the printer attached to it) and Voila! the page prints. i had thought about attaching the router/server to his laptop with the ethernet cable, configuring the router and installing the printer, and then unattaching the cable and using the wireless connection to print to the printer. is that what you're saying to do, or are you saying it has to stay connected to a wired computer? if the latter is the case, then it really isn't going to work for what we need it for.

i will try what you suggest and hopefully that will be the solution. it will be tomorrow when i can get back over to his office. i'll let you know if it works.

thanks so much!

suzanne

7. dungeonguard

dungeonguard

I'm very sorry, but the solution is to have a wired PC connected to it at all times. The specific server you selected, and be aware that most are like this, is also a wireless router, meaning that it sends signals via a wireless connection, or WiFi.

This said, the only way you can successfully run this item is to have it connected to a wired PC at all times. I have had a similar problem with a Linksys product and I resolved it by doing this.

I'm very sorry that this is the only way it will work for you and your husband, but sometimes technology doesn't get along with humans, eh?

-Simon
    [email protected]

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not all printers can be used with all print servers. I doubt that the Lexmark Z25 will work with a print server, but I'm just guessing. Best to try to contact Lexmark and find out before you spend any more time.

9. aggie mom 2 4

sooo is the issue that it is a router as well as a server? can you get just a server to run a printer without having a pc? it seems like the print server on a router is redundant if it still must be wired to a pc... i can print wirelessly to my computers at home because of my wireless router; there's no need for a print server at all.

thanks, though, for your help.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "is the issue that it is a router as well as a server?"

No; the issue is that not all printers will work with all print servers. And some printers will work with no print server.

11. aggie mom 2 4

ok, so what i really need to know is this... is there any device that allows you to send your print command wirelessly to your printer without the printer needing to be plugged into anything but that particular device. so the laptop does not need to plug into the printer, nor does the printer have to be plugged into another pc. (making the assumption ahead of time that any compatibility/ "will it work with this hardware" issues were resolved ahead of time.)

thanks

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A network (ethernet) ready printer connects directly to a router (or switch or hub) and any computer on the network can print to it; e.g., HP LaserJet 1022n.

A network (Wi-Fi) ready printer connects to a wireless network via Wi-Fi and any computer on the network can print to it; e.g., HP LaserJet 1022nw.

A print server also connects to a network via ethernet or Wi-Fi as above, so any compatible printer connected to it can be printed to by any computer on the network.

By "any computer on the network" I am including ethernet and wireless connected computers.

There's nothing in the little User Manual for the Lexmark Z25 to indicate that it will work with a print server. But also nothing that says it won't. I still say check with Lexmark to see if they have an answer (and if it will, is it compatible with your router/print server?).

13. aggie mom 2 4

thanks! i'll try to check with Lexmark and see what happens. i appreciate your help.

14. dungeonguard

dungeonguard

If I were you I'd upgrade the printer. It is relatively older. I find replacing my printer every 2-3 years is a good thing to do unless it is a really good one.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice