help installing win xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

FrankTank

Hello, I just bought two new hdd's for my comp and i want to swap out my old hdd's for the two new ones. My comp did not come with a windows intall cd, just a recovery partition on the hdd. anyone know what should i do to install xp on one of the new ones? thanks in advance.

BTW, my OS is on my original 80gb hdd (the same one with the recovery partition), and I also have a second 13gb hdd also for backup. I tried to disconnect th 13 and replace it with one of the new 160's I bought but the comp would not start up. I was confused by this because the OS is on the 80. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is it detecting your hard drive? If not, try flipping the plugs, sometimes they tend to get flipped upside down. I had that problem when I installed my first hard drive. :eek:
Did you try changing your boot order so that the drive with your OS is set first? I'm sure you already have, but if not try it. Also try messing around with the jumper settings and make sure your new 160 gig isn't set to master. As for the installation disc... I dunno what to say... =/ maybe try contacting the company that built your computer and if that's a no-go, try to get your 80 gig working and get some software to transfer the entire system to another hard drive. I think there's a way to do that, but I wouldn't know, never tried it. :(

You can go to the new hard drive's manufacturers web site and download a disk clone program. It copies it exactly. Here's the list of manufacturers:
http://compreviews.about.com/cs/manhard/
And I agree with Chrisseh. Check your jumpers. They usually come from the factory set on Cable Select. Both drives must be on CS for that to work. The other way is set your 80 to Master and the new 160 to slave. Let us know. Good luck.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online