1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help - Internet and Network speeds

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mongo51, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mongo51

mongo51 Thread Starter

Hello. I'm running Windows XP on three computers that I am trying to network properly. I have been getting Comcast High-Speed for some time now and I used to be able to get full speeds all around the house. Lately, it's been running very slowly. I've had the comcast guy over numerous times and we can't seem to improve the speed over 300 kb/s, a bearable speed, but nothing close to what I should be getting. My primary computer, a 2.6 ghz HT HP Pavilion is hardwired to my Linksys wireless G router, which in turn is hooked up to my Motorola Surfboard modem. My secondary computer is an aging 1.8 ghz HP Pavilion which is recieving a wireless G feed downstairs.

Now, I had assumed thus far that it was nothing to worry about, merely a problem with Comcast that will be fixed shortly. Lo and behold, when my wife purchased a laptop, an HP Pavilion AMD Turion 64 with a wireless G networking card, I tested to see it internet speed. To my surprise, it gets full speed, 1.9 MB/s. I would like to know what could be plagueing my other computers that cause them to run so slowly on the same network, while my new wireless laptop runs much faster than my wired connection in my primary computer. Thanks in advance, and I'm willing to provide any other information that might help.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First stop would be a virus and spyware scan, that's the most likely suspect in the absence of other evidence.

3. mongo51

mongo51 Thread Starter

Nah, I've tried that numerous times to no avail. McAfee, Spybot, nor Adaware didn't help my problem. I just can't seem to figure out what would cripple two computers and leave one unscathed.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, when you think about it, what other reasonable explanation is there? :)

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Yeah wired and wireless is out of the equation since both are going slow but one wireless comes on and gets full speed....

Really sounds like 2 clients with SOMETHING causing a problem.... Do you have something loaded on your other 2 PC's thats not on your wifes? I.E. a firewall program that may be causing a big slowdown maybe something like NIS?

Whatever it is I agree with Johnwill that it sounds software based I.E. spyware, ad-ware, virus, program related. I would start that route... Does safe mode with networking support give you better speeds?

6. mongo51

mongo51 Thread Starter

The weirdest thing...
    The other wireless just started working at full speed, and now the only computer that is still to slow is the wired one. It may be a problem with the computer itself, or it's how the network is configured for just this one computer. I must reiterate, this computer is capable of getting perfect speeds because it has in the past. I have triple-checked spyware and viruses, so I am stumped as to what I should do. Thanks for the feedback so far. I'll try safe mode and see if I can get anything better.

7. mongo51

mongo51 Thread Starter

I fixed it. I used the winsockxpfix program and it fixed it. I have no idea what the problem was though.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/469101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice