1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Internet wireless connection "connects" but no internet access

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ILoveKnowledge, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ILoveKnowledge

ILoveKnowledge Thread Starter

Hi all! I was installing a software on my other laptop (it had SQL software with it) and I ran into some trouble as I got error problems that the installation of the software had failed and now whatever I do, I can't access the web! Sure enough, my wireless connection connects successfully and it indicates that I am on the "Internet" but every time I try to use either firefox or internet explorer to go to a web site, it says I don't have a connection. It is extremely odd and I don't know what it might be...

Hopefully someone can help me out with this. Thank you ahead of time for your assistance.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what was the software and have you tried uninstalling or doing a recovery to before you installed
    start> programs > accessories > system tools > system recovery

otherwise try a tcp/ip reset
    you dont say what windows version you are running xp, vista, windows 7

------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
    and press enter

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
    and press enter

Reboot the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Please note and post back - if you receive the message
    Access is Denied

Post back the results here - we need to know these commands worked correctly
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log
    and press enter

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog
    and press enter

Reboot the machine.

Please note and post back - if you receive the message
    Access is Denied

Post back the results here
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

3. ILoveKnowledge

I apologize. I am running Windows 7 64-bit and it was a CRM software and I was able to uninstall it and resolve my problem in regards to the software; and unfortunately, I don't have any recoveries saved/set-up with this laptop in question..

I will now follow the instructions you promptly provided for me and will report back ASAP.

4. ILoveKnowledge

Ok, I followed your instructions and I am about to restart but I wanted to report back the results:

For "WINSOCK", I received the command back "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset."

For the "IPv4" TCP/IP I received the command back as, "Reseting Global, OK! Reseting Interface, OK! Reseting Unicast Address, OK! Restart the computer to complete this action."

BUT, for the "IPv6" TCP/IP I received the command back "There's no user specified settings to be reset." after I input "netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log"

Am rebooting now..

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    correct results

6. ILoveKnowledge

Unbelievable! You SOLVED my problem for me and so quick...WOW...thank you SO MUCH my friend..

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome (y) thanks for letting us know
    You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the page of the thread in the upper left corner. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice