1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Is Needed, Getting My Computer To Work Once Again.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by playasoccer, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. playasoccer

playasoccer Thread Starter

Hi I'm Zac, (I'll just tell you how this all went)
    Well I have a computer which runs on XP. About 3 months ago the power supply went out in it, and I bought a new computer. Well last week I picked up a power supply and replaced the old with the new. It works again! But where I need help is here. It says:
    "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
    Now I'm wanting to save the files I had on it before.
    *So my question is, "If I put in the system disk will it erase all my files or is it just going to help it restart and work properly again?"

[email protected] for replies

(y) I need deffinate anwsers for I have files on the computer that are vital and irreplacable and maybes just won't cut it.

Thank You,
    ~Zac

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

First of all . . if the files were important they should have been backed up.

A couple of ways to salvage the files:

You can take the hard drive out of the old machine and temporarily attach it to the secondary ide channel ( the one with the cd drive ) long enough to copy the files over.

You can buy a USB hard drive enclosure, put the drive in that and connect it to the new pc via usb cable to salvage the files.

Good luck . .

3. sy2

sy2

You should use the EDIT POST option to remove your e-mail from the first post, or else you're gonna get flooded by spammers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/385819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice