1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP I've messed myself up again

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dawndd, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dawndd

Dawndd Thread Starter

Hi --
    I'm back. I run XP Home SP2 and I crashed my computer about a month ago. Somehow, my numerous attempts to use different boot disks, etc., caused most of my 80 GBs from my C drive to my D drive. I had never used the D drive (I guess you'd call it the slave) for anything. All of my tech friends told me that since I was a novice it would be much easier for me to move everything into the D drive rather than to try to re-partition and get the GBs back to C. I don't think their decision was based so much on my being a novice as it was based on their having no clue how to move the GBs back. Anyway I moved a lot to D yesterday. Today I get an "can't find NTLDR" error and can't boot up. Ah, but this has happened to me before so I pulled out my boot disk for this message. So I got past that screen and got to screen which has nothing onit but a box which says "Window Explorer has encountered a problem and has to close". Then I have a choice of sending in an error message or not. I have had that error in the past and once I was back to normal I removed Internet Explorer 7 and ran IE6. I changed my Microssoft automatic updates to manual so they couldn't upgrade IE on me. I think my computer is a mess because I used no plan in moving files, folders, and especially programs. I got here through Task Manager, which I can pull up. I really need help. I can get to my AOL also. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I think I'm going to wipe the computer (I did save all of my own work) and load my father's XP PRO. I can't do that with the inability to boot up and the error message popping up. Thanks in advance for assistance. I'm going to Microsoft to see what they have to say.
    Dawn

2. Crusnik

Crusnik

If you want.. You can boot up with the Windows XP disk and run a repair install. Might help with those windows errors you are getting. After that make sure to run updates again.

Not sure if I'm understand right, but you want your D: to be merged with you C: so it's just one drive? If you want to do that, I'd recommend using Partition Magic.

3. Dawndd

Dawndd Thread Starter

Hi -

I'm sorry that I forgot to mention that I don't have a Windows CD. I have two useless restore disks because Windows came loaded on my machine. I am pretty much of a novice and I've been told that Partition Magic is what I need but since it would be too complicated for me I'd just do more damage. If it involves the registry I have to say I never goin the registry andI don't know how. I know it could cause big problems - as if I'm not screwed up now.
    I have been rebooting with different disks and I have two new messages to share with you and hopefully you can help. One says that the following is missing: <Windows root>\system 32\hal.dll and I also tried another boot disk and got this: I/O error accessing boot sector file multi (O) disk (0) fdisk (0)\ BOOTSECT.DOS. (The (0)s have slashes through them.). I can go try and look for system 32\hal.dll on my backup disks (which won't load) but I have no clue what that second message means.
    I'm ready to wipe everything and start clean. Can I do it with these error problems? Will they go away and leave the computer in the proper state for me to load XP Pro?
    I'm going to keep working on the Windows Explorer problem and the System 32\hal.dll. I would really appreciate any help or suggestions with this mess.
    Thanks,
    Dawn

4. Crusnik

Crusnik

A clean install would definatly be the easiest route. It'd get rid of those errors you're getting, and before XP actually starts installing, you'll be able to delete both partitions and create a single one (solving your other problem).

You'd have to locate an XP disk before doing that though =/.

And anyone that says partition magic is hard to use... Well... They should be kicked in the shins. If you ever get ahold of partition magic and have trouble using it, send me a PM and I'll try walking ya through it.

5. Crusnik

Crusnik

6. Dawndd

Dawndd Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your help. I want to make sure that I understand. Do I need an XP disk to wipe the computer clean or to merge the c and d drives? Thanks for giving me hope for using partition magic. I have a cousin who is frankly being a jerk because he's decided that although he has an XP CD I should learn to fix my problems without it. He's an IT tech. He's got a superiority complex. Otherwise I have no one who has one. Dad has the XP Pro disk, but I know that they aren't exchangeable. Can I just pull everything up in task manager to delete the contents of the computer? Would an attempt to install XP Pro pull up what remanants were left on the computer so they could be deleted? I'm really mad at my cousin because I have no other way to get an XP CD. So I have to work around that major problem. I'll work on the hal.dll issue right now. Thanks for the link.
    Dawn

7. Crusnik

Crusnik

Yeah, you'll need the XP disk to wipe the computer clean and merge your drives. When you go to boot the XP disk you have the option of deleting your partitions and formatting them. So you'd have just the one drive and a fresh start with no errors (hopefully ;)).

I'm not sure if you can delete things from task manager. You wouldn't want to try deleting things from Windows anyway while logged into Windows =D!

And yes, when you go to install XP Pro, if you delete your partitions and reformat, the remnants of the previous install will be gone.

8. Dawndd

Dawndd Thread Starter

OK. I went to the download page for hal.dll. Every time I tried to run it or save it and then run it I'd get the message that Windows couldn't find hal.zip. This occurred no matter where I saved it to or how I ran it. Every time that I did anything the Windows Explorer message would pop up. I am really messed up. I appreciate your help so much. Are you saying that if I load the XP Pro disk it will wipe XP Home off my computer? Because if that's the case I'll go get that CD now. I have always saved my work, pics, I-Tunes library, and the like, to floppies or CDs. So there isn't anything I'm concerned about losing. Isn't there wipe software? I don't know if I could run it. My financial situation is crappy right now so I'd be looking for a free or shareware program. I really need help, this is a bad situation. I appreciate it so much.
    Dawn

9. Crusnik

Crusnik

If you have XP Home, an XP Pro disk won't help because your product key is for XP Home.

Since formatting is built into the XP install, you won't need another wipe tool. Even if you had another wipe tool, it wouldn't do much good if you couldn't reinstall your OS =D!

I think the next step in your battle will be to local an XP Home disk. I'd give Microsoft or the maker your PC to see if they can mail you a replacement disk. Once you have that disk, you can wash away all your woes =p.

10. Dawndd

Dawndd Thread Starter

I really want to thank you Mr. Brown for helping me this morning and giving me almost instant replies to my messages. It is very kind and generous of you. I just want to ask you a couple of questions so that I'm clear in my head about this. It's clear that without an XP Home Edition disk I can't get back in and do the necessary partitioning and fix whatever I screwed up by moving so many items to the D drive without knowing how to do it correctly. I have at least four big errors today. If I get wipe software, are you saying that it will go too far and that it will not leave my computer in any any shape to load the XP Pro because it won't allow any OS? I'm leaning toward a couple of free wipe hard drive programs that I found on CNET. I haven't had a chance to read about them yet. Do you think they are for situations when you no longer want the computer but don't want anyone to get any of your information off of it? Or is it possible to wipe and then install XP Pro? At least Dad has the original disk for that and I won't have to try to go chasing people down to find out if they have the XP Home CD.
    Thanks so much once again,
    Dawn

11. Crusnik

Crusnik

The only reason I wanted you to use an XP Home disk is because when you go to install XP again, your product key for XP Home won't work for XP Pro.. That wouldn't be a fun situation to be in.

You could install off the XP Pro disk, and that'd fix all your problems... Provided you have a key for XP Pro. But it doesn't sound like you do, so I don't recommend it =p.

To answer your question about just wiping a drive, period. There are apps out there that do that. Before we send off old PC's to salvage at work, we use an app called Wipedrive 3.0.

You can download a freeware version of it here: http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Disk_Maintenance_and_Repair_Utilities/WipeDrive.html

12. Dawndd

Dawndd Thread Starter

Once again your help is right on target and very useful. If by a key you mean the numbers on the box that they ask for when you are installing, then I have the key for XP Pro. My father bought a version that could be used on three computers. He was thinking about his, Mom's and mine. I totally resisted going to XP Pro until now. Maybe that is what you mean by a key, I'm not even sure.

I will go right away to the site you gave me for the software to wipe the computer. As I said, everything that I created or placed in any files or folders was always backed up on a disk, so I'm not going to lose any data. I guess I'll just be losing my entire OS. I hate to keep asking you questions because you have spent so much time with me and been so helpful already, but I'm wondering if I should go to Microsoft's site after I install this 2002 version of XP Pro and download all of the updates for this OS to get it up to date. Does that sound like a good idea? I hope that this all goes smoothly :)

I can't thank you enough Mr Brown,
    Dawn

13. Crusnik

Crusnik

You have a key for XP Pro eh? That is very very good thing =D! Hell, don't even worry about that wipe utility.

Use the XP Pro disk from you Dad. When it boots up, choose to do a clean install. Along that path you'll be able to delete both of your partitions, reformat the drive, and install the OS. One stop shopping.

And then do exactly what you said, use windows update and get all the latest patchs!

Hope all goes well.

14. Dawndd

Dawndd Thread Starter

OK. I will follow your instructions and if it doesn't work work for some reason I will be posting here again:) So hope that you don't see my name again. You have been generous and very helpful. Thank you so much. Keep your fingers crossed.
    Dawn

15. Crusnik

Crusnik

Got em crossed on both hands =p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!