1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help. just bought vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by TyStone72, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TyStone72

TyStone72 Thread Starter

help guys. i just bought a vista laptop. dell inspiron 1720. purchased through a friend. everytime i try to login i get an error saying
    "this computer system, #jym97g1-595b is protected by a password authentication system. you cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password.".
    it is a white screen. i try to enter the BIOS setup but it brings me directly to this screen. does anyone know a way to reset this?

2. Orumph

Orumph

You will need to have the laptop ownership transferred to your name.
    Then they will give you the master password to reset the BIOS password.

This is the only way that you can get passed that screen without knowing the password.
    Dell will not give it to you unless you are the owner of the laptop.

This renders the laptop useless if it was stolen.
    The only other way is to replace the motherboard with one that doesn't ahve a bios password set, or replace the eeprom on the board. No amount of flashing it will remove the password.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!